Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DIY Painstation project, seeking help

JustMakingStuff

Nov 4, 2022
Hey, so me and my friends were in Berlin recently, and we tried the Painstation at the game museum. My friends want to create a similar machine, but don't have much knowledge with electronics (I'm not as good at it either, but have more knowledge than them). I have tried to brainstorm an idea for how the electronics would be assembled:

numbers.png
(a little sketch made in MS paint, hope it makes sense)

If you don't know what the Painstation is, it's basically a table with a screen in it, where you can play pong. When you lose (sorta), you get one of 3 punishments: Slapped by some rubber whip thing, heat on your hand or electric like shock. You have to hold your left hand on two buttons (which is also where the punishment is dealt), and if you let go, you lose.
So, I've done away with the shock punishment, as it could be dangerous, and my friends said it wasn't like real shock (just felt like it, and idk how to replicate it (didn't play the Painstation myself, cuz I'm a wuss)). We came up with the replacement of using strobe lights/flashing lights.

So I'm gonna go through each numbered section to sorta explain it, and ask questions about it. If you have any recommendations/corrections about a section (unrelated or not), please do comment:D (do keep in mind this design will be mirrored as there is two players)

1. 1. This is the potentiometer knob that will be used to control the paddle
  2. 2. We won't be using the small buttons, but some bigger and easier to push down, this is the button(s) you have to push down to not lose.
  3. 3. This is the heating element, it will be placed under the hand, most likely between two buttons (point 2) that needs to be pushed down. It will be separated by a sorta grate (if that makes sense). As a failsafe to ensure no 3rd degree burns, I was thinking of attaching a thermomister to just shut off the power to the heater if it gets too hot. Question: I'm not sure how fast this heats up, and how hot it can get, any ideas?!
  4. 4. This is the motor that will have some sort of rubber whip, it just needs to spin around. It will have an external power supply, and be activated by a transistor.
  5. 5. We will use both an Arduino and raspberry pi 4 (connected by USB). The Pi didn't have analog ports, so I just thought it would be easier to have an Arduino for the electronics, and a Pi for the game part. If this is stupid, and there is an easier way, please let me know:)
  6. 6. This is the strobe lights (just an LED strip). It will be flashing on and off rapidly for a short duration as punishment. Question: Can the strip be burnt out from being turned on and off too much?
The Raspberry pi will also be hooked up to a monitor for the visual game part. The question I'm seeking for answers to the most, is just if this is feasible and if the sketch will hold up with real life? Other than that, feel free to critique me, and if this is an absolute terrible idea, let me know (and if you have ideas for making it less terrible, let me know too)
Thanks for any help in advance:)

Attachments

• numbers.png
    numbers.png
    491.7 KB · Views: 1

John Canon

Jun 1, 2022
I saw that in the movie "The Island of Doctor Moreau" except
they also had leg shackles! Nobody made it past Level One.

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
Looks like your plan is good to me, u have a bit of xp right?
Might take a bit of trial and error to get the robotic doo-hickeys to work as u want them, I cant really help too much there, but the rest would be fairly straight forward mostly just the programming the pong.

I'm pretty sure u can strobe the LEDs and they last a long time, Im not sure how long tho, maybe they do eventually burn out, I bet they last longer than a carbon filiment. :)

The heating element only has to be really cool to hurt your hand alot if it is sustained contact with it. I reccomend maybe blowing some hot air on your hand instead and just go for discomfort.

Might be fun game! I remember it on James Bond as well, was cool part of movie.