Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DIY PCB

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
hey wanna ask, if I use plastic varnish, the connection still can conduct electricity ?

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
hey wanna ask, if I use plastic varnish, the connection still can conduct electricity ?

Yes. You can still solder on on pcb connection. Hot solder lead will melt plastic varnish and solder flow on etch copper..

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
I mean those line of connection wont be insulated ?

If you mean the copper etch. Yes, it will be insulated by varnish coating. But you can still solder on it. You can still place your multimeter probe to test voltage , resistance or continuity of copper. Just add little pressure to the probe to puncture varnish coating.

You have to apply thin coat of varnish to newly etched pcb to avoid fingerprint mark that can cause corrosion.. Probably 1 or 2 swipe of clean fabric with varnish. Then you can drill holes and solder components.

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
If you mean the copper etch. Yes, it will be insulated by varnish coating. But you can still solder on it. You can still place your multimeter probe to test voltage , resistance or continuity of copper. Just add little pressure to the probe to puncture varnish coating.

You have to apply thin coat of varnish to newly etched pcb to avoid fingerprint mark that can cause corrosion.. Probably 1 or 2 swipe of clean fabric with varnish. Then you can drill holes and solder components.

DIYPCB2.jpg

I mean those circled parts..will they be insulated ? will it be insulated from conducting electricity as they are having the copper so as to conduct electricity.If I apply plastic varnish to it, will this effect the condutivity of the circuit ?

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
How about you try to apply plastic varnish on that portion and apply solder then test for continuity. Then you will now what I'm explaining. To see is to believe.

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
Yes. It's very cheap a bottle. Use the remaining varnish to your old wooden furniture to make it look new.:D

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The varnish simply protects the surface.

The heat from the soldering iron will melt/evaporate the varnish and the solder will bond to the wire and the copper trace.

If the varnish remained, you would not get a good solder joint (imagine trying to solder to the fibreglass of the board rather than the copper.)