Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DIY RGB LED Light Fixture - Novice needs your help!

tomstav

Jan 6, 2016
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone here can help as I have searched the web all night with no luck! I know absolutely nothing about LEDs but am determined to get this to work!
confused.gif

I am trying to make a remote controlled single 10W LED spotlight to put over my fish tank... I want this to be a controllable RGB light so that I can change the color with the remote. This will be purely for aesthetics and not to support plants/corals. I don't want to use the pre-made LED strip lights as I want it to be a single hanging fixture.

Right... So here are the components I have...

So, now my goal is to (if it's even possible) connect these 4 coloured cables into a single 10W RGB LED chip. I have bought the following two chips hoping one of them would work...

Will either of these chips connect to the 4 coloured cables? If so, how do I connect them? If not, what kind of chip should I be using?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
Thanx.gif

Thanks!
Tom

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
No. Unfortunately, the controller is designed to drive LED devices that have built-in current limiting and are thus made for a voltage source. Neither your controller or the specified LEDs have a current regulating function.

tomstav

Jan 6, 2016
Thanks KJ6EAD for your help and quick response!

Using this controller that I already have - is there any simple configuration that I can do to achieve a 10W RGB LED fixture?

If not I may just have to use a strip of LEDs although I would much rather have a single floodlight/spotlight fixture.

Many thanks!
Tom

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
The type of LED you're interested in is usually driven from a compatible constant current driver. Some can be controlled by the (presumably) PWM output of that controller. Google is your friend but as you probably realize, not much useful technical data is offered by most ebay sellers.