Maker Pro

DO-160 Section 22, Lightning Induced Transient Susceptibility Test Project

ICGengineerTech

Aug 15, 2012
ICGengineerTech submitted a new Showcase Item:

DO-160 Section 22, Lightning Induced Transient Susceptibility Test Project

I just spent about an hour and a half writing a nice long log of what I have done with pictures and lists of equipment. I hit spell check because I'm a bad speller and POOF... everything went away. I will reproduce the post tomorrow but in the for the being I just wanted to let you all know.

I have to figure out how to use a piece of equipment that simulates indirect lighting strikes by injecting transient waveforms onto equipment while power is applied. These tests for aviation equipment are required by the FAA.

I will post cool pictures and a full description of everything I have done so far tomorrow. But for now just enjoy this.

~William

Correct Current Probe

I just got this in. It is the current probe I'll be using. The round gray one in the photo can't measure high enough current to work for us. I knew this when I took the picture and was using the grey one as a stand in. However, this project is on hold. I am making cables now. I'll post updates when I get back to work on this.

Read more about this showcase item here...

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
I spent two weeks once testing wall warts to see how they survived an indirect induced lightning strike. It was great fun seeing power supplies go pop, you'll be surprised just how weak some of them are. I then had to build a lightning suppressor for some of our equipment. At the end of the testing my module survived over 200 induced strikes of 6000 Volts at 2000 Amps. So I'll be interested to see how you get on.
Adam