Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Does anybody here do photonics/optoelectronics?

ian13

Jun 2, 2021
With the current situation Im considering doing a PhD for RF/microwave, but looking around the schools in my area they more specialize in photonics.
I didnt even know what that was, but it looks extremely fascinating and now Im curious what its like. I found some free online lectures and it seems nothing like ECE.
Whats the work like? What type of things do you work on? Whats the job market like for something as niche and cutting edge as this? Whats the work environment like, are you mostly working with your hands in a lab? What type of skills and software would you recommend knowing?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
What type of skills and software would you recommend knowing?
Learn as much as you can. Earning a PhD doesn't mean you stop learning. An advanced degree or two or three may actually hamper your getting a job in industry because some potential employers will think you are over-qualified, i.e., that you will expect more salary than they are willing to pay.

I found some free online lectures and it seems nothing like ECE.
I found some Google references to ECE, but have no idea which ones (if any) are relevant. Would you please explain what you were looking for in "free online lectures" and why any of them should look like ECE? What is ECE? It's always a good idea to define abbreviations and acronyms the first time you use them in a thread, so ignorant dummies like me won't have to ask these questions.

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Are you coming from engineering or physics?
Are you contemplating engineering or physics?
The source of the lectures you found will likely determine the slant of the lectures. There will be a variety.
I chatted for a time with a Chinese guy who was finishing his PhD in new LEDs. Seemed a combination of chemistry, materials and physics. Efficiency seemed to be the issue. Probably losts of work in displays.
For many, I guess optoelectronics is networks, communications.
Maybe many PhDs end up in adjacent fields to their actual topic or research positions.