Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Does anyone have experience of differential line drive SN751178N

rhubarbdog

May 15, 2018
Hi,
I'm transmitting data at high rates and have reached the limit of a piece of wire.
A post on another site regarding this introduced me to the IC differential line driver.
I have received some help from Texas Instruments http://www.ti.com/ in identifing a component.
I have chosen the SN751178N it's only £2 on ebay
Does anyone have example circuit with pin numbers of logical names like DE etc.
I have 2 micro controlers (pyboards) https://store.micropython.org/store/ and I am communicating between them using UART in one direction only.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You finf the datasheets here.

What is your "high data rate" anyway? Talking UARTs is it below 1 MBps? I'd like to point you to EIA/TIA-485-A (ex. RS-485) which is really easy to handle. Transceivers are readily available from many manifacturers (Maxim, Ti, Analog Devices, Linear Technology - you name it). The MAX13433E for example (1 transmitter, 1 receiver) is available at ~2.5 €, that's ~ 2.15 £ from reliable vendors (not Ebay). Other chips can be had for as little as 1.11 €.

Note that for long distances shielded twisted pair cable is a must. The shield reduces noise from electric fields, the twisting reduces noise from (electro-)magnetic fields.
Also note that contrary to common belief you should supply a third wire (possibly use the shield) for a common ground connection between transmitter and receiver. Although being differential RS-485 works in many cases without that common ground, this option increases reliability.

In a noisy environment it may be necessary to use electrically isolated interfaces to minimize distortions of the signal introduced by e.g. stray currents between separate devices.
For really long distances (> 1200 m acc. to the standard, > 100 m acc. to me ;)) I recommend optical transmission which is also much less susceptible to electromagnetic noise and therefore also an option for short distances.