Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Does anyone know ST62T40B

flippineck

Sep 8, 2013
STMicroelectronics ST62T40B; this is a microcontroller from around 1998 I believe

It's in a generator controller "DSE530" long obsolete and unsupported by it's maker Deep Sea Electronics.

The normal method of programming different user parameters into this box is by way of using their proprietary Windows XP software and their general purpose RS232 interface cable "DSE808".

The programming software is still freely available but the DSE808 lead seems impossible to find.

Out of all the chips in this DSE530, only one has memory functionality and that's the ST62T40B microcontroller.

I wondered if it might be possible to download this chip's 128-byte EEPROM memory and identify within it, fields that represent each user parameter. Modify as neccessary, then reload the chip. Assuming the ROM readout protection hasn't been instigated and / or doesn't extend to the EEPROM.

Apparently one requires an EPB to do this:

Code:
SGS - THOMSON Microelectronics (STMicroelectronics) http://www.st.com
EPROM PROGRAMMING BOARD FOR ST62T40B MCU
ST62E4XB-EPB/220
1998
with Windows 3.1x software
Objective:
- read ST62T40B Data EEPROM to disk file
- (128 bytes total - 2 pages 0 & 1 of 64 bytes from 00h to 03Fh)
- write Data EEPROM back from disk file 128 bytes total, to ST62T40B

Not sure if these are even available anymore

Has anyone here dealt with one of these microcontrollers before? Is there an easier approach than trying to find a ST62E4XB-EPB/220 board?

Attachments

• dse530-chip.zip
    781 KB · Views: 0
  • ST62E4XB-EPB_XXX.pdf
    109.5 KB · Views: 1

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I've seen a similar method, "software freely available but useless without the programming dongle" used in some of the older cnc equipment.
Idea was to protect their development costs.
We used to "bury" the dongle within a wall panel or under a floor section as they were around AUD$15k at the time.
Nothing one can do about it.
There is no "workaround or reverse engineering"that one can apply.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

As @Bluejets said. The dongle can be used as copy protection device.
https://www.genpowerusa.com/generat...a-dse808-pc-software-configuration-interface/
It looks like an old wibu key.

In my job we still use the kind of software licenses system.
The old systems use the FlexLM license system.
The new sysems are using the codemeter license system.
The software can only be used when connected to the instrument or as stand alone datastation with a license on the computer.
The licenses also determine wich features are available.

Bertus

flippineck

Sep 8, 2013
Thanks..

I was a bit wary when purchasing the 530, got it for a very low price after telling the seller my worries about passwords / programming, so it's not been too much of an expensive toy to rummage around inside. I guess the best way forward is to invest in a new generator controller, DSE did recommend a couple of newer equivalents. I chased up a few 808's on various sites but they all turned out to be prohibitively expensive / out of stock.