Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Does anyone know what this component is?

Mr_Data

May 3, 2023
Hello,

I'm new to electronics, and trying to learn by myself, i go this component from an old IDE board for an hardrive, for what i can read on the board next to the part there was a designator B502 i looked up what that designator could mean and whatever i could find refered to that as either a Batery or a Motor of some kind, which most likely is none :)

I tried to measure it with a multimeter in continuity mode and beeps, so i tought it might be an inductor, looked up how to measure an inductor in capacitor mode with a multimeter (from what i understood is not accurate, but would give me a ballpark figure) but it reads 0nf

On one of those cheap chineses component testers put it on the pad reads 0 ohms resistor which is consistent with the reading i get in the multimeter, but i'm not actually sure if it's a 0 ohm resistor cos i never saw them in this format. I tried to look it up to the best of my knowledge and can't get to a conclusion.

Any one know what this could be?

component.jpeg

Thanks in advance

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
It is a Surface Mount Device - SMD.
Could be a Cap, Resistor, Diode or Inductor.
If there is no marking, or location in a schematic, we'll have to test it for all possiblities.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Ceramic capacitor 503Picofarad
Equals 0.005 microfarad
You can't measure it with a cheap meter.

Mr_Data

May 3, 2023
Ceramic capacitor 503Picofarad
Equals 0.005 microfarad
You can't measure it with a cheap meter.

If it's a capacitor when i test it with the multimeter in continuity mode, shouldn't it not "beep"? cos this one as i said in my descriptiom, beeps. and my multimeter has 4 digits of precision and read 0.000nf.

And from the board i took it, as i also said above, it has a designator of B and not C, all other caps have C before the number, this one has B and there are a couple more like this on that board like the picture below

Untitled.png

Thanks for you time

Mr_Data

May 3, 2023
It is a Surface Mount Device - SMD.
Could be a Cap, Resistor, Diode or Inductor.
If there is no marking, or location in a schematic, we'll have to test it for all possiblities.

Thanks for your time, whem i posted the topic, i already had done some testing as i described it in my original text. I also know that this component is not damaged, and by the testing i done and with my limited knowledge i kinda ruled out being a capacitor. Either way i put in a new picture of a location on that board that has another component like that one, but i cannot identify what it is.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
i go this component from an old IDE board for an hardrive
Is there any other information you might have anything on the board or do you still have the hard drive I'm thinking I could look for a schematic for it, that will give us the answers.
I believe I may have aggravated your confusion. Mine as well.
I'm just curious as you are as to that designation. Anyway here's a little chart for capacitor codes and value conversions you will need them in your travels.

4.5 digits, or 4 and ½ digits. The '4' represents full digits, meaning digits that can be represented or shown from 0-9 on the display. The '1/2' or '0.5' represent the first digit of the reading display and the maximum it can read. In this case, '1/2' digit means the first digit that can represent the digit 0-1.
4.5 digits mean the display can show 00 000 to 19 999. This is because the first digit can show 0 and 1, and the last '4' proceeding digits can show 0-9. There is 4 because it is a 4 and a 1/2 digit meter. This means, if this was to be converted to count, it would be 20 000 count, because 4.5 digits mean you can display 00 000 to 19 999. The next digit up would change its range.