Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Does anyone know what this is?

Knife

Jan 15, 2022
I am trying to fix my carrier furnace draft inducing motor. THere was a burned out trace on the pcb so I fixed it. It didn't work. I saw some smoke. I took it apart and there is a burned out component. I am not sure if it was burned out before because I was focused on the trace. I am a novice trying to save money. I would like to give it one more try and replace the burned out component. I think it is a ceramic capacitor. However I cannot decipher the nomenclature for the farads, etc. Can anyone tell by the picture what this is and how I can get one? Yes I know I prob should just buy a new motor but it iw 1400$ and at least two months wait. The motor model is Ge ECM by regal-beloit 5sme44jg2006A. I can;t find any schematics on the web. Thanks for any help.

KnifeIMG_2979 (2).jpg

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
More photos. Different angles, zoom out a bit so we see the component in the context of other components around it. Any markings on the other side of the part? First guess, a noise suppression capacitor, or maybe a surge suppressor.

ak

Knife

Jan 15, 2022
Here is another image. It is labeled RT1. From my reading, I think this is a thermistor? I don't know if it is PTC or NTC. I can't decipher the nomenclature to tell how I can get a replacement. It is blown on top. Does one type of thermistor "blow" and the other doesn't? How can I tell the difference. Externet mentioned a MOV( so I had to look that up) but with the labeling I am now showing you, do you still think that the component is a MOV or thermistor?
image0 (1).jpg ?
I sure appreciate all your help. I am not talented enough to draw a circuit diagram without spending a lot of hours on it so I am trying for the low hanging fruit first. Thank you.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Here is another image. It is labeled RT1. From my reading, I think this is a thermistor? Does one type of thermistor "blow" and the other doesn't? How can I tell the difference.
A MOV is usually connected directly across an AC or DC supply, see if you can tell in this case.
A MOV is rated for normal operating voltage and Joules, i.e. the energy it will absorb before destruction, as in the case of a large power surge or spike.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
That would be if it is a PTC resistive device, I suspect it is a MOV.
Could be either?

Knife

Jan 15, 2022
I was able to find the manufacture. It is a 10 ohm thermistor. Thanks for all your help.

Knife

Jan 15, 2022
OK. So I repaired a trace, replaced the thermistor and tried again and blew the thermistor and a trace. I did some research and looked at the board again closer and I see a component that is bad that I think is the probelem. The pad label says "L1" so I think it is an inductor. I have attached pictures. I have searched the web using the numbers on it and can find nothing. Does anyone know for sure what this is and where I can get one and any other suggestions? ThanksIMG_3007.jpg IMG_3005.jpg IMG_3006.jpg anks,

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
That looks like a common mode choke. Unless a winding has broken and is shorting the other side, I doubt it is faulty.
Check that white oblong component next to it. It’s probably an X2 class class capacitor that has shorted.

Martin

Knife

Jan 15, 2022
Agreed, it looks like a common mode choke. How did you detect that it's bad?
I saw some black on it. I removed it and here are some pictures. What do you think? Thank you.I found some on e-bay common mode choke uu type, 72ccy ba | eBay but I don't know what parameters to choose. I know MH is a parameter. Does it matter a lot? Or is there some wiggle room. Capacitor looks OK with what I can see. I think the choke was shorted and that is what burned out the thermistor and trace? Thoughts? Again I appreciate it. It is a learning process.

IMG_3008.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg

ou.

Moderators note : removed double pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Normally a shorted common mode choke on the power input would not cause a problem, in this application it is just a suppressor.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I know MH is a parameter. Does it matter a lot? Or is there some wiggle room.
Usually considerable wiggle room. [BTW, there's a world of difference between MH and mH !]

Knife

Jan 15, 2022
Usually considerable wiggle room. [BTW, there's a world of difference between MH and mH !]
Something more for me to learn. Btw, there are so many knowledgeable people on these forums. How did everyone learn all this stuff??? Are they electrical engineers? Formal technicians?or just learn from books and trial and error/persistence? I eventually want to be more proficient and just wondering how these people achieved their level of knowledge.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Quite a few regular contributors here are no longer in the flush of youth, so have had a lifetime of learning and experience to accumulate knowledge.