Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Does someone here know what data a Chromecast delivers to the internet?

Benny7440

Jan 14, 2016
I wish I knew why for delivering content that I've recorded myself I've to have an internet connection and the dongle connected to the modem for casting to a tv. Is the amount of data sent big? Are there other alternatives less demanding or more direct to casting?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Direct connection (cable) between PC and TV via e.g. HDMI or VGA.

Benny7440

Jan 14, 2016
My main means to connect to the internet is a Fire Tablet (sorry that I forgot to include this data at the beginning of the thread). I've read about using an MHL cable with an equally enabled tablet for doing this but never tried it.

My main question here is if there's some app or app+dongle combination to transmit data from a tablet to the tv directly without the intervention of a modem nor internet access?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I have a local Plex server which can use Chromecast to play stuff on my tv. I have no idea if it works when my internet goes down.

My Chromecast device uses my modem's wifi, but I guess I could just disconnect the modem from the incoming signal. However in not sure that's the question you're asking, and in any case, you could set up a Plex server and try it yourself.

Benny7440

Jan 14, 2016
Thanks for repñying, steve!

What's a Plex server? As I see it, my tablet takes the video from the internat, then it sends it via wifi to either the modem through a different channel and the modem through another different channel toward the Chromecast or my tablet sends the file to the Chromecast directly via wifi with a different channel after passing the condition that there's an active internet connection. In any case, it's clear that the Chromecast is capable of bidirectional communication with my tablet (think of the configuration step).

My most refined question is: what's the exact route that video that comes from, say Youtube, takes until it gets to the tv? From there it might be easier to understand then what's happening underneath...

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Youtube-internet-wifi-chromecast.

The various protocols will be available as technical data documents.

What is your reasoning for wanting to know? If there was an easier/simple way of doing this the manufacturers would already be using it.

Benny7440

Jan 14, 2016
My main reason is that I download a half-hour video weekly for showing to a sister where there's no internet access. She was given a Chromecast but is practically unuseful, so I was wondering how to cast those videos to her tv even without internet access point. Technically, I don't see any justifyable reason why it cannot be done: maybe if using a linux based computer it could be maneuvered to do so...

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Google PLEX. Install the server, get a (not free but cheap) app for your phone, and watch the content from your local server on your TV via the Chromecast device.

Benny7440

Jan 14, 2016
Have seen a Youtube video where there's a broken tablet from which it has been taken a little board containing the wifi circuitry and, after soldering some cables, it's connected to the usb port of a laptop and used as an external wifi dongle. I know that the laptop was running a Windows version and that some drivers had to be made ready before it could be used. My questions here are, what would happen if it's connected to the usb port at the tv? Could communication be established then? Can the tv accept video from the usb port?

I wish I could have such a board to do it myself, but I don't. Thanks for any advise!

PS. The link to the video (in Spanish) is below:

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Have you searched for "chromecast privacy policy"?