Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Don’t know what I’m doing Amp project. Help!!

Viking70806

Feb 15, 2021
Hello electric ladies and gentlemen. I am an aspiring electronic wiz with little knowledge and need some input. In short I am mounting a small practice guitar amp in a small suitcase. I’m also adding some effect pedals to it. I want one plug to power both the amp and 9v pedals. So....

I noticed the big transformer thing in the amp said 120v input 60Hz to 12v 0.5A output

so I assumed it was stepped down from 120 wall voltage to 12v to power the amp. I ordered a 12v to 9v little step down module on Amazon and was about to wire it in. I checked the output leads from the transformer and is reading 13.37ish volts not 12...

when I hook up step down module I get readings all over the place

I feel like I should know what I’m doing to further the project. Anyone have any thoughts?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
  1. 13.37 V as the output of a nominal 12 V transformer is o.k. The output voltage will drop if the amp is active and draws power from the transformer.
  2. You cannot connect a step down module directly to the output of a transformer. Well, you can as you obviously did, but that makes no sense at all. A transformer has an AC output, the module requires DC. You'll have to find a point within the amplifier's power supply where you can tap into a DC voltage.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Anyone have any thoughts?
Anyone have any links to product pages? Or photos? Anything with writing on it. any connectors.

What are you using to measure voltages? If it is a meter, is it on an AC or Dc scale? It's kinda important.

"Big transformer thing" is a relatively useless description. If if is an open-frame transformer, the output almost certainly is 12 V ***AC*** and will not drive a DC/DC converter correctly. If it is in an enclosure or package, like a plastic box with a label on it, if might have a DC output. But then, why is it running over 10% hot? Only you have the information to answer these questions.

"Big transformer thing" is a relatively useless description. If you're gonna be a wiz, ya gotta to talk like one. I get that you're new to all of this, but "Big transformer thing"? Really?

ak

Viking70806

Feb 15, 2021
Lol. Thank you very much for your reply.(and not taking the opportunity to laugh at my ignorance). I need to crack the books on some simple electronic circuits and logic. Any recommendations?

Viking70806

Feb 15, 2021
Anyone have any links to product pages? Or photos? Anything with writing on it. any connectors.

What are you using to measure voltages? If it is a meter, is it on an AC or Dc scale? It's kinda important.

"Big transformer thing" is a relatively useless description. If if is an open-frame transformer, the output almost certainly is 12 V ***AC*** and will not drive a DC/DC converter correctly. If it is in an enclosure or package, like a plastic box with a label on it, if might have a DC output. But then, why is it running over 10% hot? Only you have the information to answer these questions.

"Big transformer thing" is a relatively useless description. If you're gonna be a wiz, ya gotta to talk like one. I get that you're new to all of this, but "Big transformer thing"? Really?

ak
I’m sorry but for some reason my pictures I took won’t upload. I’m using a klein mm400 multimeter

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I’m sorry but for some reason my pictures I took won’t upload. I’m using a klein mm400 multimeter

Hi and welcome
Resize them to a max of 800 x 600 pixels and with a kb size of ~ 100kb ... Dont try and upload multi-Mbyte sized files