Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Door Entry Notification

wannab1

Sep 27, 2012
I need to wire up a bell and light so that when someone opens our shop door I know it. The shop has an old alarm system (Ademco AM100) the board inside appears to have 20AMTE on it.

I'm not a opposed to wiring the door sensor into another programmable board if it would be easier, I just don't know the best way to approach this.

Thanks!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi ther
Welcome to the Electronics Point Forums :)

does it really need to be monitored by the alarm ?
if not just a basic reed switch, battery and buzzer is all you need

How complicated do you really want to make this ?

Dave

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
does it really need to be monitored by the alarm ?
if not just a basic reed switch, battery and buzzer is all you need

How complicated do you really want to make this ?

They sell these at my local dollar store, complete with batteries for $1... You can of course use the existing door switch from the alarm but that will take a little more work...

If the existing alarm system is functional they almost always have a door chime option...

wannab1

Sep 27, 2012
sorry I should have given more details. It is loud in the shop so I have 120vac bell and 120vac light. I need to activate both for say 2 seconds - delay - 2 seconds. I may not use the light as the bell is very loud.

no the security system is there so i thought I could possibly use it.

wannab1

Sep 27, 2012
I realize this may not be the best place to ask this question - any chance anyone knows a better place to look for a resolution to this?

Thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
First things first. Do you want the alarm to be 2 sec on, 2 sec off, s sec on, 2 sec off... as long as the alarm condition (presumably door open or similar) is active? Or do you want it to alarm for 2 sec and then go off? I'd solve this with either an astable or a monostable.

Ac for the second part. It's a reasonable place to put it. I would talk to people who do shop security or commercial alarm systems. They may have something that already exists, or may be able to suggest something.