Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Doubts electrolytic capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnmullins

Aug 27, 2020
What frequency should I use (energize) electrolytic capacitors to prevent them from having problems, losing capacitance and depolarizing? someone told me to use electronic devices that use 1x per month electrolytic capacitors for minimum 30 minutes

50v-1000uf.jpg

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

From the Capsite:
Parts kept in long-term storage (2-3 years or more) may have very high leakage when first used and should not be subjected to full rated voltage (and should be current limited) until the leakage falls to normal. Reforming of the dielectric can be done by applying a voltage that is slowly increased to maximum over a period of several hours, with current limited to rated leakage current. Some manufacturers have published such elaborate recommendations for reconditioning capacitors after long storage that it seems easier to just buy new ones. However, while common wisdom has it that storage is very bad for aluminum capacitors, manufacturer's literature does not always support this. One manufacturer has a 1000 hour/85C shelf-life test that specifies that leakage will not exceed that of a new capacitor. That's equivalent to about 7 years at 25C. It may be that modern capacitors are less susceptible to storage problems than older ones.

http://www.iequalscdvdt.com/Reliability_1.html

As said there are many more pages in the menu on the left.

Bertus

johnmullins

Aug 27, 2020
Being old capacitors from 1990 devices, if I use it once a year, will the electrolytic capacitor depolarize and have leakage problems? ex. snes video game, crt tv

what is the frequency of use for this case? 1x a month for 30 minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.