Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Drive a Piezo Buzzer

CatCat

Sep 23, 2016
Hi!

I am integrating a piezo sounder into my project. As for now, I have one of the digital output pins directly connected to the piezo. It works, kind of. Like I can hear it. barely. It's a 12v transducer and obviously it is under-powered. I do have 12v power supply so the question is not how to add a step-up. The question is how to commutate 12v with 3v?

It is a n00b question, but it is my first project that actually involves not only programming and connecting components but actually soldering:)

I googled and read this forum and it seems I need a mosfet. But exactly which one? 2N7000 looks like the cheapest one, will it work???

Also, there are a couple of post mentioning it worth adding an inductor into the circuit to increase the output from the transducer. Which inductor? Where??

If anybody could draw me a circuit, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Ann

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This link shows what to do. You can use a MOSFET of a bipolar transistor, in this application it won't matter from the point of funtionality. But MOSFETs need a different control scheme than bipolar transistors do.

What kind of buzzer (link to datahseet?) do you have?
  • with integrated driver (just apply 12 V and the buzzer sounds)
  • without driver (buzzer requires AC control to emit sound)?
You'll need different technologies to drive either type.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Mme Ann . . . . .

TRY THIS ONE . . . .

Velly-velly cheeeeep . . . . . by using scrounged parts . . . . . and Universal.

Voilà . . . . Le Schéma . . . .

Piezo Driver Circuit.png

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator: