I need help picking a driver manufacture of good / very good quality

I need

230volt input
12volt out put
Dimmable
Constant voltage
IP65 min rating
Temp rating -30+50

We are a garden lighting design and installation company and need help as our install method has changed and we need to move from transformer to drivers to power our led lighting fittings .

Any help appreciated

Paul

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
You don't know what you want.
It is the LEDs that determine the voltage.
You haven't mentioned the wattage

Greenlite

Oct 31, 2016
Our lighting range covers anything from 0.3watt up to 50 watts

Currently we use toroidal transformers rating at 12va 20va 60va and 105va

A typical lighting installation for us would be around 100 lights grouped in areas of varying wattages so that list of 4 seems to cover most eventualities.

The leds are build to take 12volt constant voltage as our preferred method of wiring as parallel ..all our garden lighting schemes use 12volt.

We have to move to Rako as our current switching equipment has developed a bug on the timer which the company cannot solve easily and its causing us a major head ache.

Like Rako they use wireless RF communication from switch units to receivers with bridge/timer units to control lights automatically,with various bolt ons such as gate triggers,beam sensors etc

However when Rako tested our transformers using a scope they found they were stressing due to the choped wave that the Rako leading edge dimmer puts out due to the Triac

We have tested various makes of transformers and some seem to work better than other but there is no consistency within any brand with the results.We there fore made the decision to move over to electronic drivers and use Rako lagging edge dimmer units.

I just want to be sure I test with top quality drivers

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
Our lighting range covers anything from 0.3watt up to 50 watts

Currently we use toroidal transformers rating at 12va 20va 60va and 105va

A typical lighting installation for us would be around 100 lights grouped in areas of varying wattages so that list of 4 seems to cover most eventualities.

The leds are build to take 12volt constant voltage as our preferred method of wiring as parallel ..all our garden lighting schemes use 12volt.

We have to move to Rako as our current switching equipment has developed a bug on the timer which the company cannot solve easily and its causing us a major head ache.

Like Rako they use wireless RF communication from switch units to receivers with bridge/timer units to control lights automatically,with various bolt ons such as gate triggers,beam sensors etc

However when Rako tested our transformers using a scope they found they were stressing due to the choped wave that the Rako leading edge dimmer puts out due to the Triac

We have tested various makes of transformers and some seem to work better than other but there is no consistency within any brand with the results.We there fore made the decision to move over to electronic drivers and use Rako lagging edge dimmer units.

I just want to be sure I test with top quality drivers

Are you trying to substitute LED lighting for incandescent lighting using the same system?
What you describe is hard to make sense of. Maybe if we had schematics to look at it might help.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The word "driver" does not make sense here. Constant current sources for LEDs are often called drivers, but a constant voltage source is just a power supply. These come in two types, linear and switching. Your transformer based ones are presumably linear. Switching supplies will be lighter and more efficient. Is that what you mean by "driver"?

Bob