Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Driving line voltage LEDs

finik

Nov 17, 2022
Hi,
I've have this LED light with adjustable colors. It it based on LED strip with interleaved yellow and white leds.
The problem is if you turn off the power it does not have memory, and when powered on, the default state is to turn on
White LEDs only, in order to light up the yellow ones as well, a remote is needed.

I don't care about dimming, I don't care about color change, and don't want to use the remote, all I need is both LED types to be at max power. Always! From the moment I turn on the power at the main switch.
I've tried finding a similar LED driver without a remote, or even just a single channel driver with similar V specs and ~400mA output so I can just attach to both LED chains in parallel, but can't find any.

How can I achieve what I need?
Any advise is welcome.
Thank you so much!

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-16 at 9.03.07 PM.jpeg

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Buy one that fits your needs.

These things are invariably driven by an onboard uC and any attempted modding will end up in a puff of smoke.

finik

Nov 17, 2022
Buy one that fits your needs.

These things are invariably driven by an onboard uC and any attempted modding will end up in a puff of smoke.
I can not buy a different lamp, took me a while to find this one, I like it.
I am ok with replacing this whole driver, with something that will do the job of driving that strip.
Are you saying the LED strip itself is somewhat special? Aren't these dumb LEDs connected serially?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Show how the PSU connects to the LEDs. Is it one pair of wires or are there more than two wires going to the strip?

I 'think' I can see 'W+' on the strip (perhaps there's a 'Y+' there too?). If this is the case then simply joining W+ and Y+ will make both come on at the same time (assuming the PSU can handle the current).

finik

Nov 17, 2022
Show how the PSU connects to the LEDs. Is it one pair of wires or are there more than two wires going to the strip?

I 'think' I can see 'W+' on the strip (perhaps there's a 'Y+' there too?). If this is the case then simply joining W+ and Y+ will make both come on at the same time (assuming the PSU can handle the current).
@kellys_eye You are correct, there are 3 wires going out ("W", "Y" and what I assume aWhatsApp Image 2022-11-18 at 9.34.29 AM.jpeg common ground in the middle). Just shorting W and Y was my initial idea, but assuming each one of them W and Y outputs 200mA (as stated on the driver), if I short them, only half of the current will go to each channel. That is why I was looking for some driver that could just output 400mA.