Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DSC 1832 - self monitoring call out # causes communications trouble

videopete

Nov 4, 2015
Hi there, First off thanks to this forum - it has helped me greatly.

I recently installed the DSC 1832 panel and modified the callout option to call my cellphone. No monitoring station involved.

I have a few questions:

1. When I test an alarm, it does indeed dial my phone with a blank msg (no beeps, nothing)...i would like to add some beeps for which zone was triggered i heard this can be done.

2. When my cell phone does ring, it keeps calling me back like 8 times or so??? where is this option set? Once would be fine.

3. When the alarm is triggered and then I disarm it, i always get a COMMUNICATIONS TROUBLE light which remains ON until I power down the panel? I'm sure this is NOT normal.

4. I heard that the panel does automatic TEST transmissions to ensure things are communicating/working properly from time to time, I need to turn this OFF completely.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Pete

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Pete, if you're still monitoring this thread:
(1) The DSC 1832 is a professional-grade alarm Control Panel, designed to communicate to a monitoring company (a.k.a., a "Central Station" or CS). It doesn't support options to send signals to cell phones.

(2) When you program a number for the panel to dial, it "listens" for a specific "handshake" signal after dialing--which a receiver in a CS would give. When it doesn't hear that signal, it hangs up and tries again--for 8 tries. This "handshake" is not a signal your cell phone can supply. One day, somebody might invent an App on Smart Phones to mimic a CS, but I haven't heard of one yet. Not that much demand, I guess.

(3) When your panel tries 8 times and fails to reach a CS monitoring service, it shows a Com Fail (Communications Trouble) on your keypad and won't reset until you either (1) successfully send a signal to a CS, or (2) Power down to make the panel forget it tried to reach a CS and couldn't. So your panel IS functioning normally.

(4) The automatic TEST transmissions are not set to be sent, in Default Programming (the way the program comes from the factory). Unless your cell phone is getting a call from your home phone at the same time of day every day or week, it's already OFF.

The way to stop the Communications Failure troubles is to delete your cell phone number in panel programming.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Pete, if you're still watching this thread, post back and let me know. I looked around and found a possible fix for your situation.

videopete

Nov 4, 2015
Yes I'm still here and read your previous answer - everything makes sense and that is exactly how it is working.
My apologies for the extremely late reply.....:)
I haven't found a workaround - the biggest issue is the calling me 8 times .
I moved into another home and they had a PC5010 panel - I tried to setup the same self monitoring method by putting my cell phone into section 301 and it is working almost the same as my old panel with one exception. This panel ALWAYS shows a Communications failure, even after I reset it comes back on minutes later. The only difference is in my old setup, the alarm panel was connected to a POTS line for telephone and this new one is connected to my VOIP ATA box which is setup for phone service. It's not a huge deal, but that trouble light remains ON.

You mentioned you may have found a workaround ? Curious.

DigitalPigeon

Jan 23, 2019
hey videopete,

Disconnect that phone line, not much you can do with it - let's use the internet instead!

Disable the panels callout features to prevent the comms fault. On my 1832 it is

Disable Communications:

*8 [Installer Code, Default 5555] 015 7 #

Disable Phone Line Monitoring:
*8 [Installer Code, Default 5555] 380 1 #

Remember these are bit toggles - your keypad will show you if those settings are enabled and need to be toggled after you type in the three digit section code. You might already have one of them disabled.

You'll probably need to do a complete power cycle after these changes (remember AC and battery) to have the fault clear.

Then spend the best 100 dollars of your life on an Envisalink 4 from http://www.eyezon.com/ . This module will allow you to self monitor for no monthly fee directly to your smart phone, with visual zone, partition, memory display, remote arm and disarm, etc. You should be able to install it in about 5 minutes - it just wires in as another keypad. And its compatible with your 832 (PC5010).

Good luck!

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Hi Videopete,
Very sorry I somehow missed your post back last year. Not sure how that happened.

Anyway, if you're still here, take DigitalPigeon's advice: That's exactly what I would have recommended. I retired before the Envisalink series was available, so DigitalPigeon is probably more familiar with it than I am, but I've heard nothing but good things about it. It _does_ assume you have Internet at home, but who doesn't?

aldude

Jul 19, 2020
Just a note that I had to disconnect battery/power, and reconnect battery/power to get rid of the communication error. It would keep setting after #1 *6 MASTRCODE 4 to clear.