Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DSC PC1832 Keypad Chime

DELtx

Nov 19, 2021
I have upgraded my home alarm system from an old PC1555 to a PC1832 w/PK5500 LCD keyboard.
I maintained all of my older 900 mhz wireless devices, utilizing my PC5132-RS 900 mhz wireless receiver and coupled to the PC1832 with a PC5320 wireless receiver module so the PC1832 could utilize 900 mhz.
All programming is correct (as I have reviewed over and over), but somehow I have lost door open and closed chime (on all 3 doors) even though that feature sets from keypad button and *4. Also, upon entry from Away Arm, the keypad will not chime with continuous buzzer indicating Entry delay.
I have factory reset several times and still can't get the chime to work. I get the chime beeps when Arming Stay and Away, and when using the keypad and programming. Chime attribute [101-103] for all delay zones.
What have I missed that won't let the door chime work.
My next step is to purchase a wireless Door Chime from Amazon with 3 sensors (one for each door) and multiple chime selections.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
DELtx, first of all, thank you and kudos to you for a concise and complete description of your problem. It makes it SO much easier to diagnose & troubleshoot when we don't have to play 20 questions about what's going on.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more to add to the explanation than you received in the doityourself-dot-com forum. For the benefit of other readers on this forum, that's
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/...rms-devices/632304-dsc-pc1832-door-chime.html
except to say thank you for mentioning the PC5320 wireless receiver module: I haven't worked with DSC wireless equipment for over 12 years (retired 11 years now) and was unaware that DSC had finally got around to supporting the old sensor/transmitter 900MHz units. I'm still pissed at them for back in the mid-90s when they suddenly (meaning without warning) switched to 433MHz wireless equipment and immediately dropped support for the "old" (meaning yesterday, at the time) 900MHz equipment.

Anyway, about your problem: I think it's pretty clear, from your description of what you've done so far, that you have a component failure, and it's almost certainly the keypad. I don't say this lightly: I abhor "troubleshooting-by-replacing-parts", but in this case, you've done everything you can do before replacing something. We would appreciate it if you would post back after replacing the keypad and let us know if that resolved the issue.

DELtx

Nov 19, 2021
Chosen One,
Thanks for the reply. I am frustrated with this system, but have too much invested to trash it. I am going to invest $22 on Amazon and get a wireless Door open chime (with 58 tone/melody choices with 3 sensors. Door open chime solved. I am struggling with the lack of tone when you enter into an armed entry delay with no tone. You can't tell if it was armed or not. I will give that some more thought. It seems difficult to connect with DSC engineers. Do you know how to do that?
For reference purposes, I am a retired Electrical Engineer, worked for Intel, Compaq and HP for 42 years.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Ah, that explains your concise and complete description.

Unfortunately, tech support for alarm equipment manufactures will deal with only professional alarm dealers. Every company I worked for had an ID Code we techs had to use to let the various tech supports know we were pros. Some brands (not DSC) wouldn't talk even to us, unless our specific company was registered with them as a customer (meaning they bought a specific minimum of their brand).

Sorry, if I weren't retired now, I wouldn't have any qualms about sharing a Dealer ID with you; I don't think you'd abuse it. But I suspect you'd get the same conclusion from DSC Tech Support anyway: New KP would probably solve it. But if you can solve it with a $22 Chime system, and that reminds you to Disarm the system, then more power to you.

PS: Come to think of it, it's possible that I have PK5500 KP in near-new condition somewhere among my hoarded parts I'm never going to use. If you want to wait a day or so for me to root it out, I'll send it to you for the postage. It was about to be thrown in e-scrap anyway, I really need to get rid of about a ton of junk I'll never use.

DELtx

Nov 19, 2021
I would be very happy if you had one you could send. Even if the case is abused, I can transfer the PCB to my newer look case. Let me know if you find it. I'll provide the address if you are successful. How to send you the postage cost?

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
Let me see if I have one first, then we'll figure out the postage. I have a lot of stuff to look through, and the KP I'm thinking of might be in a storage locker not too far away (that I need to sort through anyway), and might be some other model not compatible with a PC1832, but it's worth a look. I'll post back later and tell if I have what you need, we can PM the exchange details.

I see you posted at 1:38 AM my time here on the East Coast. I'm guessing you're on the West Coast, or a night owl.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
DEL tx
With the emphasis possibly being on the tx which would be one time zone . . .central . . . earlier than yours 12:38 vs 1:38, while west coast would be 11:38.

DELtx

Nov 19, 2021
Texas is correct. A night owl for sure.
I understand having to look through things. I have that can't throw away anything because I might need it some day problem. I need a house that has 100 closets for all the wife's cloths and 10 garages for all my tools and stuff.

Anyway, I really appreciate your effort. Let me know if you hit the "motherload".

Thanks again.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
I haven't forgotten you, DELtx. I know I have that keypad somewhere, but it's more of an excavation than I thought it would be. I've got my stuff spread out all over.. Still looking.

DELtx

Nov 19, 2021
Take your time. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Amazon has temporarily filled the void (actually works well for the door part).