Maker Pro
Maker Pro

dual axis solar tracking system project help needed..

sidy1411

Nov 29, 2012
bt i hav already finalised this circuit. if u could help me with the working of this circuit it would be gr8. i cant understand the working of the motor control board given. the 555 part is somewhat clear.

wingnut

Aug 9, 2012
I do not understand your commitment to complexity???

I have made a solar tracker with two photoresistors, 4 resistors, two comparators on one cheap chip, a dual H-bridge motor driver and a dc motor, and it cost little, worked great and was easy to understand.

I think there is something wrong with your decade-counter circuit. The decade counter (CD4017) is supposed to trigger in sequence, switching on the stepper motor coils in sequence. As that circuit is drawn, all the output pins from the decade counter are connected, so there is no sequence - they are all on at the same time. Thus I cannot explain your circuit - sorry.

sidy1411

Nov 29, 2012
Actually the problem is that i have submitted my reports and all in my college according to this circuit and the faculty is expecting this circuit only that is why i am a bit adamant on this circuit.....if u could just help me out with some kind of replacement or correction in this circuit it would be gr8......
n cn u also explain to me how you built ur solar tracking system??

wingnut

Aug 9, 2012
Every time the 4017 is triggered by the 555 it switches on one of ten output pins in order. Then it goes back to output pin one (actualy the output pins are 3, 2, 4, 7, 10, 1, 5, 6, in sequence from 1-8).

These pins have to be separated (not connected) which I think is wrong with your circuit).

Your circuit uses only pins 2, 4, 7, 10.
This implies there are only 4 different sequences in turning the stepper motor. Coils A and B are switched on simultaneously (presumably by pins 2 and 4. Then coils C and D are powered, presumably by pins 7 and 10.

Perhaps the circuit could be fixed by removing the conductor connecting pins B and C (ie the connector from pin 4 to the 4.7K resistor leading to coil C.

If you were trying out this circuit, you would get your stepper motor and 4017 connected up and trigger the 4017 by applying a positive voltage to pin 14 (the trigger) and seeing if the stepper turns.

The TIP's are darlington pair transistors increasing the output power of the 4017.