Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Eagle CAD can't open file (old file structure)

TTL

Oct 24, 2013
I'm trying to open an Eagle 4.09 created file I found on this page (under "Building the hardware" but my version of Eagle (7.70 running on a Mac) complains with the following:

Eagle for Mac OS X can't update file '2364-std.brd'
(data structure is older than version 4.11)

I've tried to search for a solution and it seems I need to update the files using the update manager ULP file, but I have yet to make it work. Suggestions?

TTL

Oct 24, 2013
I tried that, finding even older versions than the above link by going to a Cadsoft FTP directory.
I first tried installing version 4.16 but was alerted that it wouldn't work on my particular machine (4.16 is for PPC processors). Likewise the installation doc says: "EAGLE for Mac OS X can't load any files that have been created with
versions before 4.11.
"
Then I tried version 5.12 which I also had trouble installing, but eventually gave it up after reading its documentation which said the same thing as above.

So it appears there's a limitation in the Mac version and I need to try to install an older version on a PC.
Which specific version do you recommend I install that can read version 4.09 files and output 7.70 compatible files?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Sorry, I do not have a specific recommendation as I do not use Eagle.
Usually incompatibilities in file formats lead software developers to increase the major version number (the one left of the decimal point), I suspect, the first new versions should be able to import older formats while later versions may not be able to do so. Therefore in your case several steps may (or may not) be required. I'd start with a 6.xx version and if that one cannot import your file use a 5.xx version.

TTL

Oct 24, 2013
It worked!
I downloaded and installed the Windows version of Eagle 5.12 which allowed me to open all the files, then "Save as..." one by one which in turn allowed me to open them fine in my Mac version 7.70 :)

RachelGomez161999

Nov 2, 2022
Follow the below steps:
Navigate to "C:\EAGLE 9. x" and find the file "LIBEAY32. dll".
Rename the . dll by appending . bak at the end of the file name: "LIBEAY32. dll. bak".
Launch Eagle again, the program should open with no issue.

Regards,
Rachel Gomez