Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Easy Way to Extract Hydrogen Gas From Hydrogen Peroxide?

roonyroo

Jul 13, 2012
I need to test some small balloons with hydrogen gas, to test for weight measurements

Ive got some hydrogen peroxide around 40%, is there any simple way to extract the hydrogen gas from the peroxide?

I was thinking of just using electrolysis to some water, but that'd take ages

Or should I just add the peroxide into water & electrolysis anyway?

I have latex balloons specifically for hydrogen

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I was thinking of just using electrolysis to some water, but that'd take ages
Depends on the current. More current, more gas. Plus you will need a pumpö to pressurize the gas into the balloons.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
It's easier to get some Drain-O crystals, and add water... Add a little bit of crumpled aluminum foil for a faster reaction over and above the flaked aluminum in the crystals... The reaction gets hot and produces pressure that will inflate the balloon if you do it in a plastic pop bottle with the balloon over the top it's a one stop solution...

And play safe, with appropriate safety gear... Also consider propping the bottle upright with something like bricks because it can get hot enough to melt the plastic and tip over...

BTW don't cap the bottle, it will go boom...

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
My ancient chemistry tells me that hydrogen peroxide is wter with an exess of oxygen (H2O2) so you are not likely to get hydrogen out of it untill it is converted to water (H2O).

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
That is indeed true 2H2O2 --> 2H2O + O2