Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ECG based heart rate system with artefact rejection project

fenerli

Mar 15, 2011
I'm going to design and construct a simple ECG based heart rate system that will be able
to function in the presence of stimulus artefact from a neural prosthesis. I'd really appreciate it if someone can help me to get started with it.
Thank you :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Without any information about the stimulus artefact, I suspect we can't help you.

I presume you want to determine just the heart rate? If so, is using an ECG signal the most appropriate method? There are other methods that I suspect will be less affected by the stimulus artefact -- whatever it is.

fenerli

Mar 15, 2011
experiments will be involving neural prostheses (i.e. bionic ears and bionic eyes),
stimulus artefact, from the electrical stimulation of neural tissue.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, so for the other part of the question... Are you just measuring heart rate and is another method of measuring this acceptable?

fenerli

Mar 15, 2011
Yeah steve, We're just measuring Heart Rate and we're not able to use any other method. We have to use a simple electrocardiogram (ECG) based system.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
In that case you're going to have to be a lot more specific about the noise you are seeing.

And even then, I'm not sure we have an awful lot of ECG experts here (I've been proven wrong before though).

fenerli

Mar 15, 2011
This is the project steve.

Heart rate is a vital indicator of health and anaesthetic status. While it is often possible
to monitor heart rate using a pulse oximeter, there are many situations in which this is
not practical. There is therefore a need for a simple electrocardiogram (ECG) based
system. In experiments involving neural prostheses (i.e. bionic ears and bionic eyes),
stimulus artefact, from the electrical stimulation of neural tissue, is often orders of
magnitude large than the ECG signal, complicating the task of determining heart rate.
I need to design and construct a simple ECG based heart rate system that will be able
to function in the presence of stimulus artefact from a neural prosthesis.