Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Effective Series Resistance Capacitance Meter Obsolete?

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Do you like your new ESR meter?
Might as well throw them away!

Electrochemical capacitors are expected to replace conventional electrolytic capacitors in line filtering for integrated circuits and portable electronics. However, practical implementation of electrochemical capacitors into line-filtering circuits has not yet been achieved owing to the difficulty in synergistic accomplishment of fast responses, high specific capacitance, miniaturization and circuit-compatible integration. Here we propose an electric-field enhancement strategy to promote frequency characteristics and capacitance simultaneously. By downscaling the channel width with femtosecond-laser scribing, a miniaturized narrow-channel in-plane electrochemical capacitor shows drastically reduced ionic resistances within both the electrode material and the electrolyte, leading to an ultralow series resistance of 39 mΩ cm2 at 120 Hz. As a consequence, an ultrahigh areal capacitance of up to 5.2 mF cm−2 is achieved with a phase angle of −80° at 120 Hz, twice as large as one of the highest reported previously, and little degradation is observed over 1,000,000 cycles.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
The flux capacitor will be here first!
I’ll take my chances and keep my ESR meters.
Plus, we still repair old devices that still have electrolytics. Billions of devices.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
The flux capacitor will be here first!
:oops:
Flux capacitor? I'm on your side brother.
Never had a chance to use that one.
I'm not an authority on it.This is only my opinion that electrochemical capacitors will have much lower ESR values. How low can your ESR Go! Compared to conventional electrolytic capacitors, they will as a positive by-product of design, give an advantage of higher current capacity and ultra-fast transient response "attenuation."
Your fiercely passionate response that I do agree with, instills how important it is to measure and consider ESR in circuit design & troubleshooting.
You didn't have to beat me up... But somewhere along the line I deserved it. :cool: Geez it's only my second post.
:)

Screenshot_20240309_171510.jpg