Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Efficient Band Pass Filter- Ideas Apperciated

marcusaurelius

Dec 13, 2016
I am working on something that will require me to perform 3 different actions based on the frequeny of the input signal.

I immediately thought of using 3 band pass filters, but turns out they aren't always extremely effective.

Any ideas about how to make an efficient band-pass filter? I've checked a few of these but efficiency weren't as good as i want.
Basically, i want as high an accuracy as possible.

To give an idea, imagine you can have a signal of any frequency but you are only allowed to pass one around 700 HZ with a error rate of about %5. This sounds difficult to me, and I don't even know if this is possible.

OBW0549

Jul 5, 2016
"Efficiency," "accuracy" and "error rate" are meaningless concepts when talking about bandpass filters; you'll have to be more specific about what you actually mean.

By "accuracy" do you mean the accuracy of the filter's center frequency-- as in 700 Hz versus 720 Hz versus 693 Hz, etc.? Or do you mean the accuracy of the filter's gain (or attenuation) at a specific frequency?

What do you mean by "efficiency"? Are you referring to the sharpness of the filter's response peak at the desired frequency-- i.e., whether it passes only a very narrow range of frequencies centered around its response peak, or a broad range of frequencies?

"Error rate" is a completely meaningless concept for a bandpass filter. What, exactly, do you mean?

You say you've "checked a few of these" but their "efficiency" wasn't "as good" as you wanted. What circuits did you look at? And in what way did they fall short of your needs? Be VERY specific.

And finally, what are the three frequencies you're interested in? And what is the voltage amplitude of these signals?