Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Egg Incubator Turner Motor Circuit :::: Need Help PLEASE

harith.altaei

Jul 31, 2013
Dear all
Good day

Kindly i need help for a 12V DC circuit for an Egg Incubator Turner Motor, a (Timer) that activate the DC motor for 15 seconds every 4 hours, and learn how to change the time according to change the components if i need to do that.

can i do that with a 555 Timer?
how would be the circuit?

Last edited by a moderator:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You can't do that with a simple 555 circuit because 4 hours is waaaaaay longer than a 555 can manage.

Complaining that people won't answer your question isn't going to make people want to help you.

Perhaps your post was viewed by people who couldn't help.

In the tutorial's section there's a discussion of long duration timers that might help you.

Read that then come back and tell me what you still don't understand. I have no idea about your skill levels, and in light of your impatience this is the quickest response I can give you.

harith.altaei

Jul 31, 2013
You can't do that with a simple 555 circuit because 4 hours is waaaaaay longer than a 555 can manage.

Complaining that people won't answer your question isn't going to make people want to help you.

Perhaps your post was viewed by people who couldn't help.

In the tutorial's section there's a discussion of long duration timers that might help you.

Read that then come back and tell me what you still don't understand. I have no idea about your skill levels, and in light of your impatience this is the quickest response I can give you.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply

i don't have a big experience with the electronics circuits, but i have an idea for that project, the problem is i can't design the circuit i only have the idea.

if we make 2 circuits the first one as a trigger and it send pulse to the second circuit every 4 hours, and the second circuit when receive the pulse send power to the dc motor for 15 seconds and then stop till receive the second pulse, is that possible??

and if it's possible how can i get the circuits design please?

Last edited by a moderator:

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Have patience, it takes me longer than that to put my brain into gear.

Four hours is far too long for a 555 and 15 sec is marginal.

You will need two timers, one for each time. I do not think that great accuracy is required for this application.

Some people would use a microcomputer for this but I do not have the expertise.

A CMOS 4060 contains an oscillator and 16384 divider. Four hours is 14400 sec so you will need to set the oscillator to slightly under one Hertz which is reasonable.

The output could drive a 555 but why not duplicate the first circuit? To time 15 sec, the 4060 oscillator needs to run at 16384/15 = 1092 Hz.

Interconnecting the two 4060s would take some thought, probably more than 90 minutes.

The frequencies can be adjusted with variable resistances (potentiometers).

The output current from the 4060 is very low so a mosfet would be needed to drive the motor.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
That is certainly a possibility.

One option is to use something like a 4060 to generate a pulse every 4 hours and use this to trigger a 15 second pulse from a 555

Here is a page that describes delays of various lengths (including 4 hours with a 4060.

This page describes a way to do almost exactly what you want.

harith.altaei

Jul 31, 2013
Have patience, it takes me longer than that to put my brain into gear.

Four hours is far too long for a 555 and 15 sec is marginal.

You will need two timers, one for each time. I do not think that great accuracy is required for this application.

Some people would use a microcomputer for this but I do not have the expertise.

A CMOS 4060 contains an oscillator and 16384 divider. Four hours is 14400 sec so you will need to set the oscillator to slightly under one Hertz which is reasonable.

The output could drive a 555 but why not duplicate the first circuit? To time 15 sec, the 4060 oscillator needs to run at 16384/15 = 1092 Hz.

Interconnecting the two 4060s would take some thought, probably more than 90 minutes.

The frequencies can be adjusted with variable resistances (potentiometers).

The output current from the 4060 is very low so a mosfet would be needed to drive the motor.

Hi
Thanks for your reply

as i was searching for the past two days i got understand that 555 problem, but unfortunately i can't design or draw the circuits :(

harith.altaei

Jul 31, 2013
That is certainly a possibility.

One option is to use something like a 4060 to generate a pulse every 4 hours and use this to trigger a 15 second pulse from a 555

Here is a page that describes delays of various lengths (including 4 hours with a 4060.

This page describes a way to do almost exactly what you want.

Thanks Steve

i got the idea, but how i get the circuit diagram to try it??

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The circuit diagram is in Steve's zen.co.uk reference.

You could build it as shown on matrix (Vero) board using a similar layout.

Edit
You have not said the current consumption of the motor. I would replace the transistor and relay with a mosfet. unless you need more than 5A.

Last edited:

harith.altaei

Jul 31, 2013
Now i have those two circuits and trying to test it with Circuit Wizard but i cant fine the components.

is the circuits ok?

Attachments

• AAesp01.jpg
    AAesp01.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 983
  • EggTurnerTimer.jpg
    EggTurnerTimer.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 5,393

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It's a little different, but it looks fine.

Here's a trick. When you build it, you don't want to sit around for 4 hours to see it come on for 15 seconds... And if it took only 3 hours, or it took 5 hours, adjust the pos and wait for another 4 hours...

So, instead of taking the signal from the last stage of the divider (Q14), take it from Q7. That way you have to wait only 1/128th of the time. You can adjust the pot so that the you only have to wait 112.5 seconds. It may still take a while to get the delay close to 112.5 seconds, but it won't require days :)

After it's right, change back to Q14 and it should be close to spot on.

Note that the oscillator will vary a little with voltage and temperature, so don't worry about being closer than about 5% (so somewhere between 106 and 117 seconds would be fine for your initial adjustment)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I come back here because Harith.altaei has been sending me PMs and I find that my reply is the last thing in this thread.

How I'm supposed to help I don't know.

The answer is "Build the bloody thing".

harith.altaei

Jul 31, 2013
Thanks Steve for your support, please if you can check the date and time between the PMs and the comments here, and the last PM is from you :)

so thank you very much Friend :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Harith, here are the messages:

harith.altaei said:
(*steve*) said:
harith.altaei said:
(*steve*) said:
harith.altaei said:
Hi Steve

are you still online please?

I do eat, sleep, and generally have a life too you know.

sorry for bothering you

If you post a question, or a reply in a thread, I *will* look at it. In fact I usually look at new posts before I read messages.

So the point is, if I haven't replied it's because I'm not around or I'm still thinking about the best answer, or I can't answer. It's not because I've not seen your post.

ok dear
thanks alot

i am still stuck in the same point :(

Note that I had told you that I don't need PM's. Nevertheless, you PMed me again after posting.

As is usual, I look at the threads before reading PMs and *guess what* I had replied to your post before I got the PM.

Your PM was totally pointless. All you managed to do was annoy me.

Have you tried building this circuit? Why do you want to simulate it? Is there something about the circuit you would like explained? Do you think it doesn't quite do what you think it will?

I'd love to help you, but you have to remember that I'm not here specifically for you.

harith.altaei

Jul 31, 2013
Harith, here are the messages:

Note that I had told you that I don't need PM's. Nevertheless, you PMed me again after posting.

As is usual, I look at the threads before reading PMs and *guess what* I had replied to your post before I got the PM.

Your PM was totally pointless. All you managed to do was annoy me.

Have you tried building this circuit? Why do you want to simulate it? Is there something about the circuit you would like explained? Do you think it doesn't quite do what you think it will?

I'd love to help you, but you have to remember that I'm not here specifically for you.

do you really think this post is nice? all i said was sorry for bothering you

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No, I don't think it's nice.

That's kinda the point. You seem hell-bent on being annoying and I am calling you out on it.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
so harith

how about answering steve's questions

1) Have you tried building this circuit?
2) Why do you want to simulate it?
3) Is there something about the circuit you would like explained?
4) Do you think it doesn't quite do what you think it will?

how about some specific answers to some specific questions :)

Dave

harith.altaei

Jul 31, 2013
so harith

how about answering steve's questions

1) Have you tried building this circuit?
2) Why do you want to simulate it?
3) Is there something about the circuit you would like explained?
4) Do you think it doesn't quite do what you think it will?

how about some specific answers to some specific questions :)

Dave

no i didn't try to build the circuit
i wanna simulate it because i want to be sure the circuit is running before build it and because i dont have a big experience in the electronics as i mentioned in the beginning of the thread and i have a good simulation application