Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electrets don't work

swetstein2

Jun 5, 2022
I am having a problem making electrets work in various circuits I’ve taken from Charles Platt”s “Make: More Electronics,” 2016. The simplest is on page 59. It connects an electret to ground on a breadboard, and also to a 4.7K resistor. The latter is attached to the positive bus. I then measure AC volts between ground and a point between the electret and the resistor.

I first tried using this brand: HiLetgo 10pcs Electret Condenser Microphone 52dB MP3 Microphone Accessories 6x2.2mm, which I got from Amazon. The first of these electrets worked the first couple of times I spoke aloud to test it, then didn’t work. The next couple of electrets were the same, so I sent them all back. I then got, also from Amazon, this brand: BOJACK 9767 Cylindrical Electret Microphone 2 Pins 9.7 x 6.7 mm Microphone for Intelligent Robot (Pack of 10 Pcs), which hasn’t worked at all.
The book says to measure AC voltage both before, and while, speaking aloud. I should register, the book says, .1 (point one) millivolts before speaking and 10-20 mV while speaking. I have gotten a stable reading (about 5 mV with the first brand and 9 mV with the second) before speaking. With the first brand I got a higher reading when I spoke, but the readout varied quickly. I think it was maybe 2-3 volts. With the second brand I get no increase at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Digikey sells only Name-Brand electronic parts. The 868 different electret mics they stock all have detailed datasheets.

Amazon sells clothes, shoes and some electronic parts which are junk that they do not know who made them or if they are defective.