Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electric blanket remotes dying

DanGrove

Sep 30, 2022
Hello everyone,

I'm hoping someone here can help me with a problem I'm having with my Sunbeam Electric blanket. I'm disabled and the blanket gets so warm that it provides pain relief, especially for my lower back so it's an important topic and why I'm posting this message.

Last week, when I woke up I noticed the remote (model number z85, sorry, don't have the model number of the actual blanket) was displaying the error code "F2" and wasn't functioning at all. We tried plugging the remote into different sockets but still got the same error code. The manual said for this error code, to check the power cord and it was fine.

One other thing to note about that morning, my cable box was dead, tried plugging it in different remotes but it would not boot up. Also, my stereo receiver would not power up with its remote, I had to turn it on by its power button after which it started powering up with its remote again. I'm wondering if some sort of power surge caused these problems?

I bought a replacement remote for the electric blanket on eBay from a seller that took returns. Problem is, once I plugged it into the blanket, it displayed the same F2 error code. We tried plugging it into different sockets but still got the same error code. I contacted the seller and told him what happened anti-processed and immediate refund and told me to keep the remote, there was no need to return it.

I wrote back to the seller and asked if he was 100% sure that the remote was functional when he shipped it and he said that it was. Fyi, there were no pictures on the ad of the remote turned on, only with a blank display. The seller had a great seller rating, 99% I think, only two complaints out of around 800 sales. Thing is, he sold mostly power tools and machine parts.

So, I'm wondering if there could be a problem with the blanket which caused the remotes to Short out, to stop working? By remotes I'm talking about the original remote and the one I bought on ebay. Fyi, the blanket had been working fine up to that point when I got the first F2 error code and there were no situations where any wires got cut or kinked.

Again, I love this blanket because it gets so warm and provides great pain relief. I'm reluctant to buy another blanket if I can fix this one with a replacement remote. But if you all think there could be a short or something wrong with the blanket which is causing the remotes to stop working then I'll rethink the situation and maybe go for a new blanket. I really appreciate any advice, thanks!