Maker Pro
Maker Pro

electric kettle shorts

Qrqtow

Jul 8, 2023
My electric kettle got wet and causes a short when turned on (not when plugged in). I took it apart and dried it (both the base and the kettle). It is a hot day and I put it in front of a fan. It seems completely dry, but it still shorts.
The turn on switch is this transparent plastic under the handle. there is a light bulb in it. When plugged in, the light turns on for a second before the breaker trips.
20230708_110345.jpg20230708_110626.jpg

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
What do you mean by..."it shorts"....
If on a safety switch, probably still has a low test.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The element is compromised. Fit a new element or (since the cost will be lower) buy a new kettle.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Buy a modern cordless, there is no electrical connection to the kettle itself.
Usually heats faster also0.
Only the base is plugged into the socket.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Is this a sales forum or a repair forum?
If you want to repair it then do as I said earlier - buy a new element.

Assuming you can FIND a replacement you might reconsider the advice to purchase a new one when you see the price (when delivery is added).

So, 'repair' AND 'sales' - both are equally acceptable in some cases.

Qrqtow

Jul 8, 2023
If you want to repair it then do as I said earlier - buy a new element.

Assuming you can FIND a replacement you might reconsider the advice to purchase a new one when you see the price (when delivery is added).

So, 'repair' AND 'sales' - both are equally acceptable in some cases.
Isn't the heating element just a piece of metal? how can it be compromised? thank you for replying

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

The main causes of failure of heating elements are given below:

1. Formation of Hot Spot:

Hot spots are the points in the heating element which are formed at higher temperature. One of the reasons of formation of hot spot in heating element is high rate of local oxidation that may reduce the element cross-section, thereby increasing the resistance at that spot and produces more heat locally and causing breakdown the element.

The other causes are wrong fuse material, may result in sagging and wrapping of the material.

2. Contamination and Corrosion:

Gases of the controlled atmosphere prevailing in annealing furnace or fumes from flux used in brazing furnaces or oil fumes caused by heat treatment of components contaminated with lubricant contaminate the elements and produce dry corrosion.

And an other page:

Bertus

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I mean it trips the breaker. Is this not the right term?
There are a couple of "breakers".
Over current and then the combo circuit breaker with safety switch.
The latter trips when earth leakage current over 30mA or so is detected.

If it was working previously, chances are, when it became "wet" the safety switch would trip (if you have safety switches).
In future post a photo of the breakers so we know what you have there.

Either way...bin it.

qrqtow2

Aug 18, 2023
So I'm the OP (forgot my password) and today I connected the kettle again after just letting it sit and it is working perfectly. Thanks for all the bad advice.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Thanks for all the bad advice.
Good to know your lack of knowledge level, lack of respect for those in the know and your gutter attitude for any future query.

So for the benefit of others who may come along, it sounds very much like it was a safety switch (earth leakage) at the heart of the tripping.
Caused obviously by the excess moisture to earth.
We did ask for verification of the breaker type initially but the Op attitude was he seemed to know better and request for information was unnecessary.

May pay to note it is up and away this time however I imagine the problem will return.

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I have a suspicion that the OP was switching the kettle on without any water in it and the thermal cutout was tripping almost immediately. Once they put actual water in it worked as it should. After they had dried it out of course.

The OP's response to people taking time to help - despite the OP not providing FULL disclosure on what they did - shows a level of ignorance and disrespect we seem to come across all too often these days.