Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electric motor on music box issue

Linbap

Oct 23, 2022
Very minor experience with electrical stuff, so I have a basic question.
I got a disc music box from an auction and have a disappointing problem.
It's run by a small electric motor that uses an adapter for power. The issue is that the motor is turning way to fast.
Is there any chance that it's caused by the adapter being the wrong one? I had assumed they were interchangeable, but if someone swapped adapters, could that be causing the problem?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Is there any chance that it's caused by the adapter being the wrong one?
Yes, that is possible. It depends on the type of motor. Lacking more information, I assume it is a small DC motor which will turn to fast if the voltage from the adapter exceeds the rated voltage of the motor.
What does the rating label of the music box state? You should find basic information on the power supply required (voltage, power) on th e rating label. Can you provide more data, upload pictures of the motor or rating label and the adapter and its ratings?

Linbap

Oct 23, 2022
Sheeesh. On the adapter and the bottom of the case it days 4.5 volts. I should have looked.
So I have one other question.
Besides powering the motor that turns the disc's, I see 2 small bulbs that should be lighting up an area where dancing figures turn. The bulbs aren't working. Would not having that additional tiny load cause more power to be available to the motor that turns the disc?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
On the adapter and the bottom of the case it days 4.5 volts. I should have looked.
Can you verify (measure) that the adapter actually outputs 4.5 V? Older transformer based adapters are often constructed such that the rated voltage is seen only at the rated current. When the load (your music box) draws considerably less current, the output voltage of such an adapter will rise above the rated voltage.
If you can, try another adapter, preferably a modern one.
Would not having that additional tiny load cause more power to be available to the motor that turns the disc?
No. The motor draws the power it requires regardless of the lights being on or off.