Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electrical Noise in Raspberry Pi with Multiple USB Connection

rome

Dec 21, 2023
I'm currently in the process of creating a mobile robot using a Raspberry Pi. The robot incorporates three devices (ODrive, RPLidar, and UWB), all connected to the Raspberry Pi through USB ports. When only one or two devices are connected, there are no issues with disconnection or errors. However, when all three devices are connected simultaneously, I experience disconnections and delays in response.

I've rigorously tested the code and executed the robot three times (3x) to ensure its functionality, and it performed well on each occasion. Interestingly, upon retesting without any modifications, issues such as "has no attribute 'something'" began to emerge.

I suspect that there might be electrical noise present. The challenge lies in not knowing how to measure the noise in this setup and identify the specific type of filter or devices needed. Additionally, investing solely in high-quality USB filters, hubs, or other devices is not justifiable without a clear understanding of why such a purchase is crucial. I cant progress again because of this challenge.

Hoping for any response regarding to this matter. Thanks

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Standard electrical interference practises should be applied i.e. keep leads short, use screen cables, plenty of supply line decoupling, solid metal screen shields where necessary, good earth planes, common ground connections etc.