Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electro plating power supply

Mukarram123

Jan 1, 2021
Hi all.
I am looking for advice.
Planing to start a small plating workshop and I need to set up a DC power supply.
As any possible way to convert arc welder (AC) or battery chargers?
Have to control the Amp

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
What voltages, what amperage do you require?

JVH

Oct 14, 2019
Buy a big 6 volt storage battery 100 amp hour or so . Connect a suitable smart battery charger for the type of cells . AGM type battery is good no fumes .
Then connect the battery terminals to the anode /cathode setup with cables that can carry the load . You will get about 6 to 10 volts depending on the charger state . Leave the charger on all the time . The battery acts as a buffer and current store . If you try and use just a charger it will probably burn out . Batteries can supply more amps than the average electronic power supply can .

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Buy a big 6 volt storage battery 100 amp hour or so . Connect a suitable smart battery charger for the type of cells . AGM type battery is good no fumes .
Then connect the battery terminals to the anode /cathode setup with cables that can carry the load . You will get about 6 to 10 volts depending on the charger state . Leave the charger on all the time . The battery acts as a buffer and current store . If you try and use just a charger it will probably burn out . Batteries can supply more amps than the average electronic power supply can .

That still leaves the current adjustment....;)

JVH

Oct 14, 2019
Then you should be able to advise that adjustment circuit . In practical use and on simple jobs It's not that necessary as the volume of the electrolyte pulls the current required . Although on specific jobs needing a certain depth of plating current control is good .
Done nickel and zinc plating that way and it worked ok .

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Then you should be able to advise that adjustment circuit . In practical use and on simple jobs It's not that necessary as the volume of the electrolyte pulls the current required . Although on specific jobs needing a certain depth of plating current control is good .
Done nickel and zinc plating that way and it worked ok .

Appears you are the expert so I'll leave it to you to work it out.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
I vaguely recall that in a bath setup you can adjust the current by how much surface area the anode has in contact with the solution, usually adjusted by how far it is immersed into it.

JVH

Oct 14, 2019
Appears you are the expert so I'll leave it to you to work it out.
You came in first with a face plant emoji making light of my post and professing the need for current regulation but you can't supply .

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
You came in first with a face plant emoji making light of my post and professing the need for current regulation but you can't supply .

Could but can't be bothered now.
As it stands, it was the Op who requested adjustable current, not me.
Last line in the first post and last line in the 3rd post.

JVH

Oct 14, 2019
Excuses again . Has nothing to do with what the OP said . It's your posting a negative response with an emoji designed to bully and put people down .

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Please calm down everybody. That's a "wink" Emoji, not designed to bully anyone. Ranting doesn't help and if you continue I will delete further entries and lock this thread. Won't be any help for the op.

ColKlonk

Dec 22, 2020
Battery chargers are not designed for such high instantaneous power.
You're looking at a switching supply similar to what you get in computers.

The difference here is that you'll need two stages, one to control the voltage and the other to control the current.
At such low voltages/high current you'll probably have to go with high frequency controllers ($$$), as you wouldn't be able to get the control from bulkier devices at low frequency.

If I'm not mistaken you can get these off the shelf.

Converting an AC welder might work with 2x 200 Amp half-bridge diodes, and a big fat cap, mounted on a big heatsink.
The problem is the instantaneous current of 100A might burn the junction of any power diode. You'll have to play with different rated power diodes.
Treating the caps badly like this would also cause them to prematurely pop, so it'll be an idea to have a bank of many capacitors.

Again the price of building this might be more expensive than off the shelf DC welder.

Mukarram123

Jan 1, 2021
Thank you all.
not a easy job converting AC welders.how ever plating power supplies expensive.(100A around 1000$)
I think LED power supplies may be suitable for the job
5v 5.5v
10A,20A,40A
Ex.40A×2 80Amp.

Attachments

• universal-6V-10A-60W-switching-power-supply-mini-size-AC110V-220V-input-S-60-6-ac.jpg
    universal-6V-10A-60W-switching-power-supply-mini-size-AC110V-220V-input-S-60-6-ac.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 0

Mukarram123

Jan 1, 2021

Best and easy way.in most vehicle batteries one cell supply 2V. If i need 6v i will remove 3 cells and i get 6v supply.nickel chrome plating experts say 1sq inch need 2 Amps.thanks Gorgeous advice

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
I would advise against using a very large 100Ah lead acid battery because if you accidentally short it out currents in the range of 100's of amps will flow and result in a lot of damage most likely causing a conflagration. Also I used to do a bit of gold plating many years ago and suggest that 2A / sq inch is way too high and will result in burning the plating.