Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electrolytic Cap ID Please

aussiedean

May 14, 2013
Hi all,

Just wondering if someone might be able to help out to ID a Electrolytic Cap for me please.

There are numerous caps going into a Kenwood Chef Mixer (A902 Excel) but I'm not sure on this one
as the unit I'm helping to fix is in another country.

Looks like to me VX(M) 1302 85 deg actual part number would be great if anyone is able to assist.

Capture.png

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir aussiedean . . . . . .

What rotten luck . . .your essential specs are being on the back half of it !

xSbp9kH.png

73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Le parte deux . . . . .

Well I'll be bleeeeeep . . . . .
In looking at the given model and brand.
. . . .the Kenwood TOTALLY seems right to be associated with Electronics and the term Mixer also fits.
But is it possible by the other aspects, that this is being a FOOD MIXER.

A . . .la . . .

That particular axial lead electrolytic capacitor and the SCR seems all too fitting to be associated with the speed control of that vintage unit.
If limited, or erratic in torque or speed, the electrolytic is suspect if not operative at all OR running at full speed , with no control, the triac is suspect.

Can distinct control board photos be forthcoming . . . .considering that the control pot is not full of bakers flour.
Also all of the numbering on the power semiconductor.

73's de Edd

aussiedean

May 14, 2013
Thanks for the reply all, I actually got the picture from Ebay that are selling Kits for that particular model. I have an idea on the (Triac BTA08 600) Model and the other Caps but not the electrolytic one. I think they might do that intentionally but anyway. I can find all parts I need here in Aussie from Element 14 but the electro cap was the mystery to me.

This is an example there are a few out there in Auction Land.

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/220758910/kenwood-chef-a901e-repair-kit-capacitors

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
other Caps but not the electrolytic one. I think they might do that intentionally but anyway

well that is just downright nasty huh

but surely you can see the value on the cap in your unit unless it has totally exploded ??

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Indeed . . .after looking at the two photos below, that design and parts utilized is evolved from the simplest SCR type of motor speed controller that we would
have encountered initially, waaaaaay back, as early as the late 1960's timeframe.
You only see the poly caps, a couple of metal film, "quasi" power resistors , and the SCR /or/ Triac along with the hidden speed control pot.
All design involvement seems to only be with AC voltage.
I think that the circuit design electrolytic shown, was just a " red herrring" being thrown in, UNLESS you find it to be a non polarized / bipolar type of electrolytic.

il_570xN.484011001_krl0.jpg

il_570xN.720349113_njt5.jpg

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

aussiedean

May 14, 2013
Updated image of the Excel A902 ..... blowed if I can make out the cap though. Problem is the unit is in another country so until the part is removed I'm not sure of the details until it is removed. Just wanted to get the parts arranged before hand.

This item is a Phillips Cap though by the look of it.

A902.png

Last edited:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Ahhhhhhh yes . . . . .and with that view, looks like its haning a very special little power transformer hiding under the wire, feeding low voltage AC to its left with an upper varistor or spike supression capacitor and then a set of (4) 1N4148's configured as a FWB rectifier to get DC and then potentially a yellow Philips Zener diode , current limiting resistor and a series pass transistor to get a low voltage, low current power supply, with the BLUE Philips elecrtrolytic cap left to do its filtering.
And this photo lets us see its negative polarity band around its lower bottom half..
A measurement from the commmon negative buss . . . all along the bottom row . . . up to the Zener to its cathode at the top should provide the minimum , voltage expected, then add a working voltage cushion factor.

STILL . . . all of the capacitance and working voltage are being non viewable, even in this photo.

In my case . . .eons ago . . . I had some 5 mil thick small rectangular plastic tabs that I cemented mirror quality silver mylar film onto.
With my taking one of those and getting right against either half of a component I can easily read the parts labeling with use of an adjunct bright light.
Otherwise . . . . you are up aginst the fudge factor of just HOW much can I rotate an axial capacitors leads?
OR . . . a soldering iron heating of one lead to get it to release and pull free, and worry about the full board pull, to reinstall it later.

73's de Edd