Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electrolytic Capacitor Question: Can I replace a 25V 10µF with a 35V 10µF?

Hydra

Jan 1, 2015
Jumping into electronics as a new hobby. So the very first project I'm working on is a simple multivibrator circuit. I finished the project but have encountered a problem where the sound output through the speaker is steady and LEDs do not blink. I believe I tracked down the problem to a broken capacitor. On the PCB one capacitor gave me a voltage reading but the other gave me nothing. I verified I didn't solder the cap as a bridge. I also soldered it again to make sure it wasn't open. I went to RadioShack and bought a 35V 10µF. Is it okay to replace a 10µF Electrolytic 25V with a 10µF 35V?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Jumping into electronics as a new hobby. So the very first project I'm working on is a simple multivibrator circuit. I finished the project but have encountered a problem where the sound output through the speaker is steady and LEDs do not blink. I believe I tracked down the problem to a broken capacitor. On the PCB one capacitor gave me a voltage reading but the other gave me nothing. I verified I didn't solder the cap as a bridge. I also soldered it again to make sure it wasn't open. I went to RadioShack and bought a 35V 10µF. Is it okay to replace a 10µF Electrolytic 25V with a 10µF 35V?
Yes.
You can over-rate the capacitor's voltage and it will cause no harm. The other specs must match to be a viable substitute though.
The voltage rating is simply the highest operating voltage it can tolerate.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
and following on from Gryd3's good advice

depending on where the cap is being used increasing the cap value wont hurt either
particularly for a smoothing cap in a power supply.
There might b e a 1000uF 25V in the unit that has failed. putting a 2200uF 25V or 35V one in as a replacement
wont hurt. you just have to keep in mind physical size is likely to be larger for a
1) higher voltage
2) higher capacitance
3) mixture of both

so as long as there is room on the circuit board ... there's no problem

Dave

Hydra

Jan 1, 2015
Cool. Very cool davenn. It's seems like such an obviously answer, but then again I didn't know. Your reply definitely helps clarify. :)