Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electronic flourescent tube starter

jjj

Dec 18, 2008
I merely focused on the SIDAC's starter circuit and didn't know that all my fluorescent lamps had no capacitor. That the EA starter circuit had a big Cap made me think that it must have something to do with it, that my SIDAC's starter circuit failed to work. I also remember you wrote that the Cap is needed, but I didn't know where to insert it into the SIDAC starter circuit.
That sort of thing happens to electronic hobbyists and that's why I pleaded for help.
The only other way I can (sometimes) locate a problem is by trial & error and that's how made the circuit finally work.
A big "THANK YOU" for kicking me to trial & error. It could have been less drama... if you took my hobbyist mentality into account; because if I were an electronic engineer I wouldn't need to plead for help.

John Canon

Jun 1, 2022
Every good Engineer (and Technician!) comes from Humble Beginnings.

The Humble part must come immediately from within, not emerge after being hit by the stick.

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.”

jjj

Dec 18, 2008
I did the testing on a smaller circle tube and noticed that bigger tubes require at least 3.3uF Caps. Since these caps are expensive I substituted them with 2 x 10uF (5uF) and they really work well. Since I cannot fit them into the starter body, I solder them onto a 10cm long wire. So I can hook them on top of the lamp. I insulate all 240VAC connections with masking take and a few drops of white water glue.

Attachments

• Sidac.jpg
    Sidac.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 6

jjj

Dec 18, 2008
I used it for 50 years without a problem. After the water glue dries it makes it very lasting (over 20 years!) Well, any other housing, unless it's fireproof, will burn off as well when something goes wrong. - Even if it burns off, little damage will occur, because it's up in the air near the lamp metal. End of drama !!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I used it for 50 years without a problem. After the water glue dries it makes it very lasting (over 20 years!) Well, any other housing, unless it's fireproof, will burn off as well when something goes wrong. - Even if it burns off, little damage will occur, because it's up in the air near the lamp metal. End of drama !!

Still, I'd chop it down and get rid of it if your house burns down.
Insurance assessors don't hold your point of view I'm afraid to say.

jjj

Dec 18, 2008
Insulation tape too burns the house down. So, the best solution is no electricity at all! Since candles are even more dangerous, I have to go to bed by sunset. Crikey, I shouldn't have installed the 24 solar panels... :( The good news is that my electrical tinkering never got me in serious trouble of that sort in my 80 years. I must have done something rightly... or what's wrong with me?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
hehehe....nobody tells the mistakes they made..........except at boasting time at the pub when it comes to boots.