Maker Pro
Maker Pro

electronic following circuit

sparky12

Jul 16, 2022
I want a to get a electric bike trailer to follow a push bike around. What is this technology called so that i can find the relevant info. I would need a radar circuit of some sort, some microprocessor circuitry and think of algorithms and programme it up

What i want to know is:
  • what phrases to use to search for this type of circuity and technology so i can learn.
  • I would probably use some sort of micro-controller but could build microprocessor circuit.
  • what programming language could use c or python.
I know about electronics and software but need to learn more and apply my knowledge.

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
step one: google it with the aim in mind rather than the technology to do it. If you don't find anything, there could be good reasons for this. Often it's just not a good idea, or some parts of the technolgy are beyond reach, either complexity or cost/practicality. Sometimes also safety concerns.
Is it attached to the bike? Bikes tend to fall over with lateral loading.
What you are suggesting, I think, has many parts. Divide things up into parts and learn about the parts.
So, guessing;
motors, motor drive electronics, batteries, power supplies, chargers
ways to detect where the bike is? direction and distance.
ways to check there are no pedestrians in the way,
ways to not collide with the bike
mechanic stuff about wheels, gears?, steering
Some of these might need more than a simple micro-controller.
Might want to look into the parts and what modules you might want to use, before getting down to the details of language to use on the modules.

CircutScoper

Mar 29, 2022
I want a to get a electric bike trailer to follow a push bike around. What is this technology called so that i can find the relevant info. I would need a radar circuit of some sort, some microprocessor circuitry and think of algorithms and programme it up

What i want to know is:
  • what phrases to use to search for this type of circuity and technology so i can learn.
  • I would probably use some sort of micro-controller but could build microprocessor circuit.
  • what programming language could use c or python.
I know about electronics and software but need to learn more and apply my knowledge.

How 'bout a rope?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I have seen a few of the ‘follow me’ robots over the years. Most are Arduino based with GPS and Bluetooth that either connect to a homing signal or smartphone held by operator.
YouTube is probably the place to start looking.
Search for ‘follow me’ module or suitcase or cooler. BUT these are in no way safe enough to use on a road to have an autonomous trailer follow you on a bike. Drone technology is good but also not good enough for a road vehicle. There is some info on the internet about Ardupilot. That’s why it costs £millions for autonomous vehicles to be designed.
Having no idea where to start is also a good enough reason to use a ‘rope’ as suggested or a proper bicycle trailer hitch.
But to get started in a ‘follow’ routine, search for ‘line follower’.

Martin

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
So, if you are still interested to learn, there are some ideas above.
In terms of technolopgies that you might like to look at;
UWB ultra wide band - on recent phones. Recent phones are actually a good platform for proof of concept trials as equiped with multiple sensors
A111 and similar radar units (collision avoidance & direction)
Cameras & openCV (image processing)
BLE & bluetooth, wireless communications, see also thread, ant.
If you have a large battery for the moving, maybe WiFi is an option.
There are numerous navigation projects about for drones & such, often with available or open-source hardware and software.
Mechatronics, robotics - generic terms with huge amounts of work & many projects of various sizes.

CircutScoper

Mar 29, 2022
Having no idea where to start is also a good enough reason to use a ‘rope’ as suggested or a proper bicycle trailer hitch.
Martin

Another good reason for a mechanical connection is, if you go to the bother, expense, and complexity of providing a self-propelling power source in the "trailer," then besides the improved simplicity of guidance, if you ever got tired of towing it, then it could tow you!.

Last edited: