Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electronic trip wire / alarm

Jimmy Deacon

Jul 20, 2017
Hi people,

Just looking for a bit of advice for a project I'm in the early stages of planning. I'm a total newbie so if we can keep things relatively simple it would be greatly appreciated.

So essentially I want to set up an electronic trip wire (beam) hooked to an alarm and I want some suggestions for which components to use and why. Below are a list of requirements and wants for the system

- The beam should be invisible (i.e. infra-red or ultra sonic)
- The beam must be safe for eyes
- The length of the trip wire must be adjustable between at least 1-4m
- The sensor must be capable of integrating with an Arduino or similar programmable device. The intention being to set up multiple trip wires and then trigger different responses based on the order in which they are tripped i.e. two beams side by side and if you cross them in one direction the alarm sounds, but in the other direction no alarm (also the beams may only be 40mm apart)
- Ideally the transmitter of the beam and the sensor will both be located at the same end (if necessary the sensor or a reflector could be located opposite the transmitter)
- Reliable, but cost effective as I'm considering between 3-4 beams

I hope this all makes sense,, let me know is a diagram would be helpful.

Many thanks

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Just for clarification, when you talk about a 'trip wire', you mean the beam itself, correct?
Or is there some physical 'wire' you're talking about?

Jimmy Deacon

Jul 20, 2017
Just for clarification, when you talk about a 'trip wire', you mean the beam itself, correct?
Or is there some physical 'wire' you're talking about?
Correct, the energy beam is the metaphorical trip wire. There is no physical trip wire.