Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electronics modules names and why there are so many manufacturers of the same thing

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
It seems like there are many different manufacturers of the PIR module HC-SR501 and this confuses me somewhat. What is the name "HC-SR501"? There's only one manufacturer of the Galaxy S7 and that's Samsung. Why is it different for the HC-SR501? Did the originator not patent it or is the patent just ignored? I figure this applies to a lot more than just this particular module.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Maybe it's popular and multiple manufacturers want to get in on the deal.

Remember where these are manufactured and the degree of IP protection.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Patents held in other countries, are not honored by the Chinese (and probably other countries depending on their lack of laws concerning this).
Another thing to consider is that some manufacturers make components, and then put the company names of whoever will pay them to put the other company's name on them. I'm reminded of a capacitor company that had production problems for some time, and paid Kemet to make their capacitors and put the other company's name on them.

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
Owners of
It seems like there are many different manufacturers of the PIR module HC-SR501 and this confuses me somewhat. What is the name "HC-SR501"? There's only one manufacturer of the Galaxy S7 and that's Samsung. Why is it different for the HC-SR501? Did the originator not patent it or is the patent just ignored? I figure this applies to a lot more than just this particular module.
Owners of patents can also license other manufacturers, allowing them to make the product.