Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electronics Mortuary

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
I found this Phone while metal detecting at the beach. It was buried about two feet deep in the sand. About half a metre below the low tide mark. Right where the shore break pounds. It had a very bulged battery too. Which I removed with a small tire lever. The back panel was not found.DSCN4665.png DSCN4657.png DSCN4662.png DSCN4661.png DSCN4664.png

It stopped leaking water out after a few days. Can it be fixed?

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
I got a new wire brush thingy for my old bench grinder. I was about a 10th of the way into removing the rust from all my tools when I started to smell a woodsmoke kind of smell. Thats when I noticed the smoke coming out everywhere.

Selection_004.png Selection_003.png

Ooops

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
The myth that electronics runs on the movement of electrons is one of the greatest hoaxes that is perpetuated by the misguided physicist amongst us ;)

Anyone with more than a year or 2 of real world electronics experience knows full well that electronics runs on smoke being channeled to the right places within a device.
And that once that smoke escapes the device no longer works ;)

Your Honour, I submit the items A, B and C listed above into evidence hahaha

Dave
Devil's advocate turn....

Your honour,

We contend the evidence submitted also supports our contention that this witness is part of a subversive terrorism plot to expire the end-user. A ticking time bomb , if you will. The MSDS sheets indicate that although safe in their solid form, once detonated with a convenient modification turns into a explosive toxic fume generator and can become quite dangerous. We believe the unit was tampered with to promote this self destruction for another purpose.
To reduce the global gene pool of mind numbing mobile users and those with equally mind numbing FPS type gamers.

GHS-Classification:
Skin corrosion/irritation Category3
Serious eye damage/eye irritation Category2B
Sensitisation – respiratory Category1
Sensitisation – skin Category1
Carcinogenicity Category1
Hazardous to the aquatic environment – acute toxicity Category2
Hazardous to the aquatic environment – chronic toxicity Category2

Reference Sumitomo; the largest supplier of IC epoxy.
http://www.intersil.com/content/dam/Intersil/environmental/documents/msdsdocs/EME-G770HJ#SUMITOMO#605.PDF

- tongue firmly planted in cheek.
but the MSDS data is accurate.
Group 1: The agent (mixture) is carcinogenic to humans.

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
When neighbors hear that I do electronics, I get given damaged goods to check/repair.
These two independent repair jobs were (a): the guy had a 500W/ch amplifier rated Z minimum 4 ohms/ch. Having no concept of impedance he wanted "power" so paralleled various floor standing 4R, 8R, 16R to create only 1.1 ohms per channel! He was suprised, arguing that it is a"big amp". As seen, the output transistor fried, cooking the board, tracks, and toroid 21-0-21V transformer. He decided to rather scrap it (more spares for me) ^^. The second two (b) and (c) were due to a family's 5-year old son playing "trampoline" on their bed, landing on nearby table with AKAI dual-tape-deck.
They also scrapped it when I showed them the extensive soldering work involved to re-join each track (cracked entire board). I plan to repair it for my own use. :)
[a]spkr_overload.jpg [b]amp_board_crack.jpg [c]blunt_force_pcb.jpg

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
Thanks for the tip davenn.
Your'e right - very blurred. :eek:
Amp already dumped in rubbish.
Still have twin tape-deck.
MUST build that fresnel magnifier project...
Current Sa***** phone has bum close-up capability. :rolleyes:
My USB web-cam was ideal for macros, (10mm+), but recently packed up.

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
I have a 10" iPad that fits nicely in my back under my pant waist, but recently hard curved chairs in a fast food place proved too much and the glass cracked into a million pieces but still worked. unfortunately entire screen got replaced for 270 $cdn in 1hr

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have a 10" iPad that fits nicely in my back under my pant waist, but recently hard curved chairs in a fast food place proved too much and the glass cracked into a million pieces but still worked. unfortunately entire screen got replaced for 270 $cdn in 1hr

oops

K9WG

Mar 8, 2018
Well.... This was a NE555....
Don't know what went wrong. Was driving an OP AMP when it decided to pepper my face with plastic...
Oops!.jpg

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014
when it decided to pepper my face
..This reminds me of the once I tried to solder leads directly on to the stainless steel/nickel of a 3V hearing-aid battery for a helium balloon project.
"Come on solder, flow...." - BANG!
Stung face a bit, but luckily shrapnel missed the eyes.

KingWhiskers

Apr 6, 2020
A poor old Singer sewing machine, not used for many years, resurrected and serviced, oiled and adjusted and sewing lovely to sew some face masks. Then a buzzing and acrid smoke. Turned off and stripped and the fault easily found. A safety capacitor burned out.
Managed to find modern day replacements and they are on their way.

FriedCapacitor.JPG

FriedCapacitorBottom.JPG
Definitely seen better days.
The magic smoke certainly poured out of that one!!!
:) :) :)

[Mod Note: resized images]

Last edited by a moderator:

KingWhiskers

Apr 6, 2020
A poor old Singer sewing machine, not used for many years, resurrected and serviced, oiled and adjusted and sewing lovely to sew some face masks. Then a buzzing and acrid smoke. Turned off and stripped and the fault easily found. A safety capacitor burned out.
Managed to find modern day replacements and they are on their way.

View attachment 47702

View attachment 47703
Definitely seen better days.
The magic smoke certainly poured out of that one!!!
:) :) :)

[Mod Note: resized images]

Sewing machine now working after replacing burnt out safety capacitors, sewing well and no magic smoke appearing so far.

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
All fuming plastics are carcinogenic and the melting PVC power cables at 3 Mile Island were probably more toxic than the radiation at that time. Inhalation of any qty is not advised.