Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electronics Parts in Calgary, Alberta ?

CalgaryPT

May 7, 2017
With the recent move of Active Tech in Calgary to an upstairs office in Calgary, does anyone know of good parts supplier in Calgary?

I already use B&E, but since Active Tech was bought by Solarbotics and moved them into a tiny cube of a storefront, their selection is poor now, and I don't even like going there. After the climb up a narrow staircase, it's claustrophobic and cramped. Even the staff seem mad about the move. Frankly I don't know why they didn't relocate to the ground level and more the mail order arm upstairs, but whatever.

Any local suggestions??

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
There is only one Electronics store here, but to drive across the city and the time & gas it takes, I just order from DigiKey, delivery is only $8.00 and at my door the next day air, no brokerage etc.
M.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
There is also Newark Element 14 which is part of Premier Farnell which serves Canada.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Tried Digikey in the UK a few times both professionally and as a hobby and found their search engine and presentation to be well below par. Prices were not significantly different and I could get Farnell deliveries overnight / next day if needed. R.S Components are similar and Mouser come in at a good third place.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
It's not close enough to walk to, but 'Sphere' in British Columbia seems to have a lot of electronic components that I usually look for.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Somewhere nearby is always going to be preferable.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Somewhere nearby is always going to be preferable.
Unless it is an absolute emergency I find next day air fine, and for $8.00 it is going to cost me more than that in gas and time anyway.;)
And usually local stores do not have the large inventory that on line vendors do.
M.

CalgaryPT

May 7, 2017
There is only one Electronics store here, but to drive across the city and the time & gas it takes, I just order from DigiKey, delivery is only $8.00 and at my door the next day air, no brokerage etc.
M.
@Minder : I think your avatar would be super funny if Albert were exposing a different finger. Then we'd all say. "Oh Al, you're always such a drama queen."

CalgaryPT

May 7, 2017
With the recent move of Active Tech in Calgary to an upstairs office in Calgary, does anyone know of good parts supplier in Calgary?

I already use B&E, but since Active Tech was bought by Solarbotics and moved them into a tiny cube of a storefront, their selection is poor now, and I don't even like going there. After the climb up a narrow staircase, it's claustrophobic and cramped. Even the staff seem mad about the move. Frankly I don't know why they didn't relocate to the ground level and more the mail order arm upstairs, but whatever.

Any local suggestions??

UPDATE 2018 Aug 24: Must have been karma. I was just there is AM and was told they are renovating a bay downstairs and plan to move both stores downthere with more room. The space they are in is just temp. Yeah! No more stairs!

wade7575

Jul 24, 2016
I like to build clock kits and other electronics kits to pass the time and depending on what I need I just get it from banggood.

I get spare resistors and capacitors and all my components from them in case one gets damaged or is missing from a kit,if you look at this link just imagine what this would cost you if you had to buy locally.

https://www.banggood.com/1350pcs-13...-p-1071864.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

https://www.banggood.com/2000pcs-10...-20pcs-Each-Value-p-1071860.html?rmmds=search

They have SMD bulk packs as well,I just purchased a bunch of resistor and capacitor packs and other stuff so I have a bunch of everything kicking around for when the need arise's.

CalgaryPT

May 7, 2017
I like to build clock kits and other electronics kits to pass the time and depending on what I need I just get it from banggood.

I get spare resistors and capacitors and all my components from them in case one gets damaged or is missing from a kit,if you look at this link just imagine what this would cost you if you had to buy locally.

https://www.banggood.com/1350pcs-13...-p-1071864.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

https://www.banggood.com/2000pcs-10...-20pcs-Each-Value-p-1071860.html?rmmds=search

They have SMD bulk packs as well,I just purchased a bunch of resistor and capacitor packs and other stuff so I have a bunch of everything kicking around for when the need arise's.

I agree -- I buy a lot of grab bags and bulk packs online too as the price is great. Resisters and caps mostly, but even some transistors too. But sometimes I just like to walk down aisles and look. Sadly, this is something we seem to be giving up as a consumer society for the convenience of online.

wade7575

Jul 24, 2016
@CalgaryPT I hear you I like to walk down the aisles of stores to and pick up stuff if I'm near Sayal's electronics if I'm in the city,I like to get the bulk packs for spare part's because it really sucks if you want to finish a project and only to find out that a resistor cap or diode is missing that only cost's 2 to 5 bucks and then to pay 10 to 20 bucks to have it shipped locally as it's to far of a drive for me to get to most electronic stores.