Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Electronics protection

navyman

Nov 20, 2012
Hello.
I am looking for a method of protecting a customers electronics associated with his zoned heating and cooling system. Just installed a stand-by generator with an 8 ckt auto transfer switch which the hvac system is connected to. I'm looking to protect it from voltage spikes and over and under voltage situations caused by the generator. I do realize a surge protector will only protect it from very quick voltage spikes and not prolonged over or under voltage conditions. any help much appreciated. :confused:

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
If this is just the low current electronics, you can run them off of a computer UPS battery backup system...

There are different types of UPS devices, this link gives an overview you are going to want to choose one of the types that provide for a high level of line conditioning... Basically ones where the devices are run off the batteries and not switched from mains to batteries...

Last edited:

navyman

Nov 20, 2012
ok,that sounds good. Am I correct in assuming the device will always be energized from batteries and never actually connected to either utility or generator voltage?

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Yes, that is the type of UPS you want in this application, the short of it is the stuff plugged in is always being run off the batteries and the mains are constantly charging the batteries...

But, as the previous link shows not all UPS operate this way, some switch between battery and mains when there is an interuption and that type will not condition the power like you want at all times...

navyman

Nov 20, 2012
Ok...sounds like I want an "line interactive ups" thanks for the help, just hope they don't cost too much.

navyman

Nov 20, 2012
I plan on having an AC source on constantly to the ups,either from utility or genny, So the only device supplied by the ups will be the HVAC system.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I plan on having an AC source on constantly to the ups,either from utility or genny, So the only device supplied by the ups will be the HVAC system.

Yes, I understand but the UPS devices are rated for a specific load just like say for example a circuit breaker if you try to draw more current then it's designed to supply it will puke or an internal fuse will blow...

Figure out the load of the HVAC system and get the appropriate rated UPS system..

navyman

Nov 20, 2012
upon further reading at wiki...i think I need an "online double conversion" type. It's a little confusing.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Did you read the link I provided? It details the different types pretty well, yes a little confusing... The double conversion would be one of the better choices...

I suspect as an electrician you get your supplies at a pro contractor supply house vs hardware store? If so you might want to swing by the contractor desk and have a chat they might be able to offer some hands on assistance with knowledge...

You won't get any knowledgeable assistance at a big box hardware or computer stores though unless you really luck out...

navyman

Nov 20, 2012
yes i did read the link you posted. Why can't they say: this unit's output comes from the battery at all times..would be so much easier. maybe I can get some advice from the company I purchase it from...I don't have much faith in my supply house people when it comes to something like this. thanks.