Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Enabling Keyless Drive in a Golf Cart

DDVX

Nov 15, 2012
Hey guys, I'm working on a project to get keyless drive working in my golf cart. I currently am using an Arduino with a PN532 shield to recognize the tag, and output a 5V signal from the Arduino. My problem is actually enabling the motor once the tag is sensed.

I've been trying to decide if I should use some type of relay to take the 5V and close the relay contacts, but I've had trouble finding a relay that takes 5V to power it but can handle the 48V that my golf cart batteries are run at.

Does anyone else have any experience with anything like this? I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Thanks for the help.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
All golf cars have a key 'ignition' circuit that is much lower current, this is where you want to do the switching, since it should be a 'low current' sourcing a relay is easier...

And once you establish the load at this point finding a relay will be much easier...

For example look at the datasheet for this one, you will see that at 300mA or less it can switch 110VDC, as the current increases the voltage rating decreases because of fact that arching will 'weld' the contacts of the relay...

FYI read the datasheets of the relays, most are rated similarly regardless of the working voltage stamped on the top of them, at low currents they can safely handle higher voltages...

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NEC/UD2-5NU/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtGt%2bn33CgIP2eYVra135BBCLghjbPW0jI=

DDVX

Nov 15, 2012
Ah. Thanks that will make things much easier. I'll go check it out. I appreciate the response.