Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Energy consumption of ADC vs DAC

Yahia

Oct 19, 2016
Hello guys,

I have a question about the energy consumption of Analog to digital converters and their counterparts digital to analog converters.
I am not an electronics guy. I study communications engineering. I need to know whether Digital to analog converters are more power efficient than ADCs or not.
You know, DAC and ADC circuits are used at the end and the beginning of the transmitter and receiver chain in communication networks, respectively. When the transmitted signals have very large bandwidth, the sampling rate goes up and so does the power in ADC. I suppose the power consumption of DAC will be higher as well. My question is, do DACs consume less power than ADCs for the same bandwidth and sampling rate? If so, how much less/more power do DACs need. Would you please give tell me or provide references for the power consumption as a a function of the bandwidth, sampling rate, etc.

Thanks!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Yahia
welcome to EP :)

Hello guys,

I have a question about the energy consumption of Analog to digital converters and their counterparts digital to analog converters.
I am not an electronics guy. I study communications engineering. I need to know whether Digital to analog converters are more power efficient than ADCs or not.
You know, DAC and ADC circuits are used at the end and the beginning of the transmitter and receiver chain in communication networks, respectively. When the transmitted signals have very large bandwidth, the sampling rate goes up and so does the power in ADC. I suppose the power consumption of DAC will be higher as well. My question is, do DACs consume less power than ADCs for the same bandwidth and sampling rate? If so, how much less/more power do DACs need. Would you please give tell me or provide references for the power consumption as a a function of the bandwidth, sampling rate, etc.

Thanks!

well the most obvious answer would be to look in the datasheets for the specific ADC's and DAC's that you have in mind
all that info WILL be listed
then come back and tell us what you discover

To everyone else .... DO NOT answer till the OP does his homework !!