Maker Pro
Maker Pro

engine and uc???

shabby

Feb 7, 2010
how can we control an ic engine driven bot using a uc???? is it easy or possible??

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
hmmm, ic and uc. I'll assume "Internal Combustion" and micro-controller (μC). Obvious only in retrospect.

What do you want to control? starting/stopping, throttle, and/or clutch?

What sort of actuators can you use? starter motor, servo, solenoid (respectively)

How do you control each of these? mosfet and big relay, direct from μC, mosfet

How do you interface them? digital output, pwm output, digital output

And then you cut code...

shabby

Feb 7, 2010
thnx fr reply...we are planning to use servos...our bot has to bear a payload of approx 10kgs..this requires a very high torque motor->->large current ...can it b done by li-ion batteries or we really require an ic engine power..????

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The payload isn't the concern. What is of concern is how far you want to move it, over what surface, at what speed, with what acceleration, and for how long.

You can move cars with lithium cells and electric motors, so there is ample precedent. Control of electric motors under computer control is probably easier, but that's not saying that some form of internal combustion engine is not inappropriate.

shabby

Feb 7, 2010
we've gotta move it 500m down for 20 min...it has gt to b an all terrain robot with +ve and -ve obstacles..it has also gt to climb staircase...the thing is whether it's possible to control a very high torque motor with a voltage regulated devlopement board circuit of a uc and to power it using an ic engine/good battery?? it has also got to b autonomous..!!!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I think it all comes down to weight. If you can estimate the energy required to do that, does the battery plus electric motor outweigh the IC engine, gears, starter, clutch etc.

I'd think electric would win, but that's just a guess. You'd have to figure it out.