Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Exercise arm bike power board repair

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Other thoughts?
Physiological!
If you're working out when you heard the pop it could have been the increase blood circulation to your cochlear nucleus responsible for relaying information from your ears to your brain. Your hearing sensitivity increased and you heard the cold solder joint go
" pop."
I enjoyed this investigative thread you posted. Thank you.

drjsp

Nov 22, 2023
Ugg. Put everything back together and although the brake is getting voltage, it's not controllable and the resistance is way too high.
So, back to the drawing board. I see two options after checking the control board (the other board, not this power board) again to see if there's any obviously damage components:
1) Replace the components that I removed, tested and reinstalled on the power board in the (somewhat unlikely?) event one of them isn't functioning properly. Relatively cheap, easy fix if it works.
2) Punt. Buy a variable DC power supply and attach it to the brake so I can manually control the resistance. At least now I know a couple things about the brake. First, the voltage going to the brake (which is beyond the maximum that I'd ever use, based on the resistance that it's creating). Secondly, I haven't measured it yet, but the DC amperage going to the brake, again which is currently beyond the maximum that I'd ever use based on the resistance.

So here's a question: What will have more effect on the resistance brake, amperage or voltage? I suppose if I do punt, it would take some trial and error with a variable DC power supply to figure that out.