Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Exhaust Switch Project HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyBell33

Apr 15, 2018
Alright I am trying to tackle a project for my car that I have no idea where to start on. Here is what I have and what I want it to do:

I have an electronically controlled exhaust valve that works on a motor similar to a window motor on a car. It will be operating on a 12v system. A double pull double throw switch will operate it fine to get it fully open and fully closed, however I want more adjustability. To my knowledge the current switch just changes direction the motor is pushing when you flip the switch.

I want to be able to use a Rotary switch and have different settings. For example:

Position 1: Quiet, exhaust valve closed
Position 2: Medium, exhaust valve half open
Position 3: Loud, exhaust valve fully open
Position 4: exhaust valve opens fully for the first 15 seconds of the car being turned on, and then closes completely. (This would simulate a loud start up and then quiet down after a few seconds, it just adds to the cool factor)

So I am not sure if it is possible to achieve my goals with just a switch and some fancy wiring. Or would I have to include some sort of computer module like a raspberry pi as a controller for the exhaust valve and the switch just tells the RaspPi what to output.

That’s why I am here, I am unsure the most efficient way to go about this. I have done weeks of internet browsing and it has me stumped still. To my knowledge there isn’t anything out there like this for the aftermarket car world. They do similar things on new performance cars and I am simply trying to mimic it with my older car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Servo motors would foot the bill.

These are small geared motors who's position is set by a 'pulse' signal that is easily generated using a simple 555 circuit. You can use a variable resistor (potentiometer) to set the servo gear position to anything you like from fully open to fully closed OR you could switch in fixed value resistors to have 'preset' positions.

Servo motors as I describe are commonly used in Radio Controlled models but you can get different sizes from all over the place - I'm sure one is available with sufficient 'oomph' to do what you want it to.

Here's a cheap Chinese version with 15kg of motive force - other version are available

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HJ-S3315...950316?hash=item211036d76c:g:py8AAOSwOVpXalYt

Last edited:

BradyBell33

Apr 15, 2018
Servo motors would foot the bill.

These are small geared motors who's position is set by a 'pulse' signal that is easily generated using a simple 555 circuit. You can use a variable resistor (potentiometer) to set the servo gear position to anything you like from fully open to fully closed OR you could switch in fixed value resistors to have 'preset' positions.

Servo motors as I describe are commonly used in Radio Controlled models but you can get different sizes from all over the place - I'm sure one is available with sufficient 'oomph' to do what you want it to.

Here's a cheap Chinese version with 15kg of motive force - other version are available

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HJ-S3315...950316?hash=item211036d76c:g:py8AAOSwOVpXalYt

Switching motors isn’t an option for me. I already have the cutouts and the motors are not changeable. I would have to completely redesign the cutout.

Thank you for the reply tho!

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Why do you think it is "cool" to make your car produce loud noise?? A car for civilized people is built with a muffler to make it quiet.

On a street near my home a policeman catches speeding cars and noisy cars and gives them expensive tickets. Cool?

Hopup

Jul 5, 2015
I guess you could just use timer circuit what stops the motor at certain time after its activated, but I have no idea if such setup would work in practice. Using servo would be by far easiest way like said already.

BradyBell33

Apr 15, 2018
Why do you think it is "cool" to make your car produce loud noise?? A car for civilized people is built with a muffler to make it quiet.

On a street near my home a policeman catches speeding cars and noisy cars and gives them expensive tickets. Cool?

This isn’t a thread to throw opinions out, so if you don’t have any good advice to give I would very much appreciate it if you took your negativity elsewhere.

And to answer why it is cool, because it’s a performance car that is already really quiet. I enjoy hearing what I’ve built when I want to.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
This and most other forums forum do not allow threads about breaking the law. Also, a noisy car is stooopid!

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
What motor arrangement do you have right now? Can it move/stop with the application/removal of power - doesn't seem to be the case as I understand it. Seems like it's wired for end-to-end motion only.

In which case you'll need some form of 'feedback' to report the intermediate position of the flaps. This can be a potentiometer geared to the flap or a set of switches on adjustable brackets.

This and most other forums forum do not allow threads about breaking the law.
The vehicle may be used on private land, a race track or whatever. I don't consider the OP's request to be in any way 'illegal'. Indeed, with the flaps closed (giggidy) there's no law's being broken anyway.....

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
This isn’t a thread to throw opinions out

You're new here, aren't you?

I think it's perfectly fine for people to say that it's silly to make your car noisy.

Now, if you were a rally driver and you wanted an option like this to make your very noisy car street-legal for road stages, then that would be something different...

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
This isn’t a thread to throw opinions out
Actually, that is exactly what this thread is. Opinions are all fora have to offer.

Here's another opinion - at fewer than six hours enrollment and a whopping three messages, I think you're a bit young to be declaring what is or is not an appropriate response.

ak

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
thread closed

we are not going to help you make un-needed noise pollution

Status
Not open for further replies.