Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Expanding the data partition of Raspbian Jessie on a USB-HDD

Hellmut1956

Aug 11, 2014
I had succeeded to place the image of Raspbian Jessie on the FAT32 formated HDD with 1 TB, copied the required files to the boot partition on the microSD and have the new Raspbian Jessie start. Now I followed the instructions to have the data partition of the USB-HDD be expanded to include all available space on the 1 TB USB-HD! This failed and resulted in the screen remaining black when the GUI of Raspbian Jessie should appear and a irregular blinking image of a cursor as in a command line I/F on the top left corner of the screen.
Investigation make me guess that the problem is due to the partition table of the HDD! The instructions that can be found at several places in the Internet use instructions that allow to manipulate an MBR partition, i.e. "fdisk", while a GUID partition table used an equivalent called "gdisk".
It looks like I will be able to identify the kind of partition on my 1 TB USB-HDD by connecting the USB-HDD to my Windows 7 system. I plan to use the instructions for expanding the USB-mass-storage but replacing the instructions that have an equivalent for GUID-partition tables.

Does anybody have knowledge about how this is with the partition tables styles and has anybody done what I am planning to do?

Best regards Hellmut1956

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My recommendation would be to use a Linux machine to check the partition table.

I'm not running Jessie on any of my machines, so I can't comment on what sort of partition table should exist or what it can deal with.

Hellmut1956

Aug 11, 2014
I will pass this thread to a new project log, so please no further responses here!