Maker Pro
Maker Pro

"Expensive" keyboard repair - ROCCAT Ryos

Kikerumbo

Jun 6, 2022
Greetings,

I've been fighting with this keyboard for weeks and as a last resort I'll try to dive into the beast "guts", with your help I hope. I wouldn't try to repair it if it wasn't because it costed me +200€.

The issue is that not one of the 7 different PCs I tried recognize the keyboard. Always an ERROR 43 code is shown. Keyboard LEDs turn on, but it doesn't work. I've already done everything I can "software side". No drivers, different drivers, specific software from the manufacturer. Same result. The manufacturer, ROCCAT, has an utility for flashing firmware but is doesn't even show the keyboard when I try to use it.

So... now I'm here.

Would anyone know where to go from here? I see various SMD, like the ARM processor, the CMOS and 3 others that when I search for the code number, nothing is shown. Swapping the CMOS is doable (with my low level of soldering skills) and cheap (around 2€). But I'm "alone in the dark" since I don't know if the CMOS is the issue or how to test it.

I know wiring is ok, connectors too (USB and the inner ones) because I did a continuity test with a multimeter.

Pictures show the "innards".

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.

Have a good day!

Attachments

• IMG_20220606_112045.jpg
    IMG_20220606_112045.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220604_123355.jpg
    IMG_20220604_123355.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220604_123657.jpg
    IMG_20220604_123657.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220604_123240.jpg
    IMG_20220604_123240.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220604_123252.jpg
    IMG_20220604_123252.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 8

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Error 43 is a driver issue. What operating system are you using and is the keyboard meant for the system you're using?

What is the warranty on the keyboard?

Does an ordinary keyboard work ok?

Have you checked with the OS manufacturer (presumably Micro$oft) for potential issues?

Is the keyboard socket on the PC ok?

What is the current requirement for the keyboard and can your port deliver it?

Kikerumbo

Jun 6, 2022
Thanks for your replies.

Other keyboards work fine. The PCs are working fine. I wouldn't bother this forum (and other) if I didn't discard a driver issue. I've already done everything I could find driver related. Other ROCCAT keyboards work fine. It's a hardware issue.

It seems I've not been clear enough with the information. I'm sorry.

Last edited:

Kikerumbo

Jun 6, 2022
Hello,

I see you also posted on AAC:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/expensive-keyboard-repair-roccat-ryos.187306/

Without more details, we can not be of assistance.

Bertus

Thanks for the answer.

I've already told every bit of information I have. It's not a driver issue because, before, it was working fine. A friend of mine has the same keyboard and it works perfectly fine with my PCs and the manufacturer driver.

There has to be some internal component that isn't working, because the PCs know when I connect the keyboard, but they can't recognize what it is.

There are 3 main components on the PCB. Processor, CMOS (memory), the other 3 SMDs (LED driver/controllers maybe?) and the voltage regulators.

Is there a way to test these components?

Kikerumbo

Jun 6, 2022

Sir, I would not have disassembled the keyboard if I wasn't sure it's a hardware issue, nor ask for your help and make you lose your time. I'd also ask in a PC forum, not an electronics one.

I've already followed the instructions from Roccat. The last resort, is a reflash of the firmware, but the software tool they give doesn't recognize that the keyboard is connected.

I hope I don't sound disrespectful, since english is not my main language. If I did, I apologize.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Did you install any other drivers that could conflict with the driver of the keyboard?

Bertus

Kikerumbo

Jun 6, 2022
Hello,

Did you install any other drivers that could conflict with the driver of the keyboard?

Bertus

No sir. Another Roccat keyboard (exactly like the one that doesn't work) is working perfectly fine.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The keyboard presumably connects via USB and if it is not being recognised then perhaps the USB interface is faulty? Some devices have a dedicated USB-serial interface device, in which case it would be feasible to test/replace as required however sometimes the interface is part of a controller IC (with dedicated USB port interfacing designed in) - in this case there is no reasonable way to test the interface itself.
The LPV1752 yada- yada is an ARM Cortex device with Ethernet and USB2 host/device/OTG functionality - as above, if the USB side of it is junked internally then you're pretty much helically inserted (screwed).
The device datasheet is readily available (https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/275725/PHILIPS/LPC1752.html) and it shows the USB port to be pins 22/23 so you could trace those pins back towards the USB connection on the PCB to see if anything 'in that path' has become faulty/open-circuit. I can see (I think) the USB pins going off towards the white 5-pin connector and through R1/R2 and L2 (a 'double' inductor?) so maybe checking those items for continuity is somewhere to start?
If a re-flash is not possible (for the same reason the keyboard is not being recognised) then short of replacing the main interface chip there is nothing you can do to fix it as the device is already programmed.

Last edited:

Kikerumbo

Jun 6, 2022
The keyboard presumably connects via USB and if it is not being recognised then perhaps the USB interface is faulty? Some devices have a dedicated USB-serial interface device, in which case it would be feasible to test/replace as required however sometimes the interface is part of a controller IC (with dedicated USB port interfacing designed in) - in this case there is no reasonable way to test the interface itself.
The LPV1752 yada- yada is an ARM Cortex device with Ethernet and USB2 host/device/OTG functionality - as above, if the USB side of it is junked internally then you're pretty much helically inserted (screwed).
The device datasheet is readily available (https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/275725/PHILIPS/LPC1752.html) and it shows the USB port to be pins 22/23 so you could trace those pins back towards the USB connection on the PCB to see if anything 'in that path' has become faulty/open-circuit. I can see (I think) the USB pins going off towards the white 5-pin connector and through R1/R2 and L2 (a 'double' inductor?) so maybe checking those items for continuity is somewhere to start?
If a re-flash is not possible (for the same reason the keyboard is not being recognised) then short of replacing the main interface chip there is nothing you can do to fix it as the device is already programmed.

Thanks sir.

Finally an electronics answer.

Thanks again.