Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Experiment Circuits for Magnetism, Capacitors, Inductors, and Alternating Current

sjgallagher2

Jan 27, 2013
In the past 2 weeks I've learned everything my books can teach me on capacitors, inductors, magnetism, and alternating current down to the calculus and construction of the components and the measurement system of magnets. Now I have a million formulae rattling around in my brain and I fear I might forget most of them if I don't use any of this information in practice! The problem here is I don't have many ideas on these things, I suppose I'll start by trying to even use the components in a circuit, that's a start, but any better ideas for circuits? I want to understand the components and as many uses for them as possible so any ideas - big or small - are very welcome! ~Sam Gallagher

woodchips

Feb 8, 2013
Phew, 2 weeks! I got interested in wind generators and so far have spent several years and buying 200+ books and still a learner.

Have a look on thebackshed forum for green energy, playing around with the idea of the wind generator with the series capacitors will keep you occupied.

Seems to me that with electromagnetism it is the understanding rather than the formula that are really important. A simple one to start, how do these single phase to three phase static converters work? Just a 230V supply with a transformer to make it 400V then a capacitor from one end of the transformer to the unattached end of the star connected three phase induction motor. When you have sorted that, why doesn't it work as well with the motor in delta rather than star? These are UK voltage, probably 115/208 in the US.

Bob

sjgallagher2

Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the reply, yea 2 weeks! It's been a tough time, but I'm on a schedule and for my next project I need this information (metal detector) I'll try the things you suggested as well!

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
as you are starting out I recommend DC voltage and 12volt max experiments.
find something you want, like a new light activated switch, radio, car amplifier... something that will intrigue you and keep you coming back for more.
if you have kids (or kids close) start making blinking LED (for toddlers) and then move up as they grow to other toys.
as a start try out looking at already made projects and figure out how they work. DON'T just read the schematic build the damn thing. hands on is the best teacher.
as you move up repairing existing items is great too then you can trouble shoot. get junk of friends that they say is broken and try to fix it (stay on battery operated stuff.)

I say there are only a few things to make a genius
make it something they like to learn about
keep them interested at all times
and always start small.

if you are wanting a metal detector that's a great start, after you get it built see if you can modify it, make a boom gate in miniature that lifts when a car (or other metal item) crosses on top. find one project that makes you interested and keep expanding