Maker Pro
Maker Pro

ExpressPCB - where are my pads?

E-ten

Aug 16, 2021
Just joined - apologies if this is the wrong board.

In ExpressPCB........
Pad manager
Create new pad
... works fine with the pads viewable in Custom pads and in Favourite pads if required.

However Component Information says that these will be saved in my designated folder and another page elsewhere indicates that they need to be moved to the PCBComponents_Custom folder which I can see.

What I can't see is where my created pads are. I was never asked to allocate a name to the pads and the only 'extra' thing I can see in the folder is a file PCBPads_Custom.cfg which does seem to contain the required information in a text file.

Please indicate where I am going wrong.

Regards,
e10

E-ten

Aug 16, 2021
I contacted ExpressPCB and still don't know whether the problem is with my machine, the version I am using or general.

However I do have a solution which I am putting here in case it is of interest to others.

THE PROBLEM
If you go to 'Component' - 'Pad Manager' you can go to 'Create new pad' and do so. However, although you can save it in one of the local folders within the Pad Manager window, I have not found a way of making it available for use in layouts.

THE ANSWER?
Forget 'Component' - 'Pad Manager'.
Insert any pad as normal to the layout screen via 'Component', 'Component Manager'.
'Ungroup PCB Component' as you would do to modify any existing board items.
If you now right-click on the pad and select 'Set pad properties', you can select 'Create new pad' within the window that opens and do the modifications to the pad that you desire.
When done 'Group to make PCB component' and 'Save custom Component' as usual.

Regards,
e10