Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Extending a 0.4mm pitch connector?

shinny

Oct 22, 2011
I'm considering getting an android tablet to use as a car PC, and I'd love to relocate its camera to the bumper so it can record track days. So, what's the electronics angle? Well, I'd need to extend a 0.4mm pitch connector by a foot or six!

This is the rear camera on a Samsung Galaxy Tab (assuming I can hotlink the photo):
(Taken from http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Teardown/4103/2)

p2eCSc5CvYP3nNir.medium

Anyone got an idea where I could buy some form of extension? Or some way I could make one?

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
The keyword here is FFC (Flexible Flat Cable). Normally it's "standardized".
To relocate the camera you need 1 flat cable and 2 pcb connectors soldered back to back (tricky job). It's somewhat fragile but it's should work. I already do it successfully to relocate 20cm away a graphical LCD.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Ive removed these many times, as the OP says mainly in mobile phones, but my intervention is cleaning out muck / dust that accumulates in pockets, i once was ask by a friend to look at his phone, buttons not responding, i found loose tabbaco in there found its way deep in the phone.
Any way i get a little edgy just unplugging those flat ribbon cables, fear of socket damage, you really have to be so careful, soldering those tiny pads, my nerves are to shot for that, steady hand needed, and not long on the joint, rather you than me, good luck.
Dave. :)

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
what you may find is that extending it multiple feet (several metres) is that it will no longer work because of the voltage drops over the cable.
Units like this are already working with very low voltages. You may fins that even after a foot or 2 it has already reached its limit, let alone all the way outto the front of the car.

Dave